Syncing of subtasks between Nextcloud and Android

Since a long time I am looking for a method to sync subtasks between my Nextcloud and my Android phone.
I am using the standard Tasks app of Nextcloud and tried different Android apps (including OpenTasks and Astrid To-Do List Clone.
None of these combinations work for syncing subtasks correctly. Apparently all of the three apps seem to use different methods to display and store subtasks.

My question:
Is there seriously no working method (yet) to sync subtasks between NC and Android??

Nextcloud:

Opentasks:

Astrid-To-Do-List-Clone:

@raimund-schluessler , can you help?

I am not aware of any app on Android that supports subtasks properly.

Opentasks misuses the description field of a task and renders - [ ] Subtask as a subtask. This is why you see this in the description field of the task in the details view of the Tasks app. Version v0.10.0 of the Tasks app will render markdown in the description field, so you will see this string as a checkbox at least.

I don’t know how Astrid-To-Do-List does it, but they seem to use something proprietary as well. You could check how they do it, by having a look at the CalDAV data of the respective task (can’t do this myself, since I don’t have an Android phone).

The proper way to support Subtasks following the CalDAV standard is to use the related-to field, which is what the Tasks app does. This was also proposed for the Astrid clone (see https://github.com/tasks/tasks/issues/552#issuecomment-432840987), but it didn’t get very far yet.

So in conclusion, the Android apps have to support it properly.

It might be worse to mention, that support for sub tasks is also planned to be implemented in OpenTasks. Here are the issue tickets which are covering this request:

1 Like

Thank you. I can’t wait till subtasks are implemented correctly in OpenTasks!

1 Like

Tasks (Astrid clone) now supports subtasks using the RELATED-TO field. This functionality is currently in beta

Links:

• Install Tasks from the Play Store
  • The final release will be available in the F-Droid repository here