Synchronization failed - space or letter "śćółńżź" in folder/filename

Nextcloud version: 17.0.0
Operating system and version: WIndows 7, Firefox webbrowser, Android client
PHP version:7.2.31

The issue you are facing:
When folder or filenema contain space or “ŻŚŹĆĄĘŃÓŁ” letter then it cannot synchronize it.
When I change space or any of these letters to underscore “_” synchronization works back again.
I can replicate this issue on all my devices Android, Windows7 or webbrowser. Even note created in Carnet with space in name cannot be synchronized :slight_smile:

I can not access folders with space in name in webbrowser client which I used to could.

Couple days ago I uploaded one file from Chrome on OSX.
I cannot access its folder on webbrowser client and can not remove it.
I am able to access it or remove it via FTP.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? Y

I have the same problem. :grimacing:
I didn’t send any special file.

When I try to show content of a folder in the macOSX client which name contain a space or some special character, it make the client crash.
On Android, the application doesn’t crash, but it says that the server is in maintenance and doesn’t show the content of the folder.

I tried to install a fresh version of Nextcloud on the same server and the problem happened again, so I tried to install it on an other server and it worked.

In the log, a lot of lines are coming when I try to open problematic files and folder, here they are : https://pastebin.fun/WdFrY8p0BW

Nextcloud version : 18.0.6 (first installation) and 19.0.0 (new installation on both server)
Operating system : Linux for the first one (but I don’t know which exactely because I’m using a mutualized server with cpanel)
Raspbian 10 for the second one.
PHP version : 7.3 for both

Hi, I am in the same boat as you.
Same error. I cant open directories with spaces in the name.

I also use a hosting with cpanel. Problem came up upgrading from 18.0.4 to 18.0.6

Waiting for a hint to solve it…

My thread

@JJVG @niaou73
I tried new installation on same server and have same result.
I found below solutions on this forum and GitHub but right now my provider is investigating it.
I use commercial service and don’t have access to sudo, other root commands and server configuration. I will update you.

1 Like

Wouhouhou !!!

The problem is fixed by me !

My hosting manager made an upgrade of lightspeed (an alternative of Apache for people as me who didn’t know what it is) and this made the issue happen. He just made a downgrade and this solve the problem ! :smiley: :smiley:

I still can’t tell what exactely is the problem, but the thing with the communication between the web-server and PHP seems to me to be the way to look in.

Thanks @rpacewicz for the posts very usefull to be sure that the problem came from the server, e
specialy this one :

Hope that it can help you and other people in the future !

(And hope you can understand my bad english of swiss french person)

@niaou73 I think you mean LiteSpeed? My host provider has the same server.
But he complains that this is NextCloud issue not the server.

Can you ask your host what version of LiteSpeed they have now and what it was?
I will test if the PHP verion upgrade can help.

I updated PHP to 7.4.7.
It did not help.

Yes it is liteSpeed, he said it to me, so I didn’t know how to spell it.

For the version, I’m sorry, but I don’t remember. I think he made the last upgrade and came back to one before. If your host provider still say it is not him, I can call him again, but I’m a bit uncomfortable to do it because I bothered him a lot these days.

I also tried to change the version of PHP a few time, it doesn’t change any thing, save your time with that.

I have the exact same problem running:

Item Version
cPanel Version 88.0 (build 6)
Apache Version 2.4.43
PHP Version 7.3.17
MySQL Version 5.7.29-cll-lve
Nextcloud 18.0.6/19.0.0
LiteSpeed 5.4.7

The following is found in the log:

[remote] Error: Exception: The requested uri(/remote.php/dav/files/XYZ) cannot be processed by the script ‘/remote.php/dav/files/XYZ’) at <>

  1. /XYZ/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Request.php line 808
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Request->getRawPathInfo()
  2. /XYZ/remote.php line 127
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Request->getPathInfo()
    MKCOL >/remote.php/dav/XYZ

[remote] Error: Exception: The requested uri(/remote.php/webdav/XYZ/) cannot be processed by the script ‘/remote.php/webdav/XYZ/’) at <>

  1. /XYZ/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Request.php line 808
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Request->getRawPathInfo()
  2. /XYZ/remote.php line 127
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Request->getPathInfo()
    HEAD /remote.php/webdav/XYZ/

[webdav] Fatal: Sabre\DAV\Exception\ServiceUnavailable: Exception: The requested uri(/remote.php/webdav/XYZ/) cannot be processed by the script ‘/remote.php/webdav/XYZ/’) at <>

  1. <>
    {closure}("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
  2. /XYZ/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/EventEmitterTrait.php line 105
    call_user_func_array(Closure {}, ["*** sensitive … "])
  3. /XYZ/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 466
    Sabre\Event\EventEmitter->emit(“beforeMethod”, ["*** sensitive … "])
  4. /XYZ/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 254
    Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod("*** sensitive parameter replaced ", " sensitive parameter replaced ***")
  5. /XYZ/remote.php line 74
    Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()
  6. /XYZ/remote.php line 168
    handleException(Exception {xdebu … "})
    PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/PXYZ/

The issue has now been reported on GitHub.

This is a confirmed LiteSpeed issue which is fixed in their latest build.

Please try the latest debug build, should be addressed.
/usr/local/lsws/admin/misc/lsup.sh -d -f -v 5.4.7

@Kenneth My provider told the same. Litespeed 5.4.7 had this bug. Latest patch fixed that. My NextCloud works fine now.

1 Like