Sudden slow speed in web interface

Hello everyone,

My Nextcloud is suddenly a lot slower than it was, say last week or before.

Changing from the file list, for example, to Settings, takes a good 43 seconds. This is entirely new, my install is on a SSD and used to be very snappy.

The one recent change I made to the system was uninstalling LibreOffice. I’d definitely say the slowness follows that change.

Here’s my info :

Operating system: Linux 5.13.0-25-generic #26-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 7 15:48:31 UTC 2022 x86_64

Webserver: Apache (fpm-fcgi)

Database: mysql 8.0.27

PHP version: 8.0.13

Modules loaded: Core, date, libxml, openssl, pcre, zlib, bcmath, bz2, ctype, curl, dom, hash, fileinfo, filter, ftp, gd, gmp, SPL, iconv, intl, json, ldap, mbstring, pcntl, PDO, session, posix, Reflection, standard, SimpleXML, mysqlnd, exif, tokenizer, xml, xmlreader, xmlwriter, zip, pdo_mysql, cgi-fcgi, redis, Zend OPcache

Nextcloud version: 22.2.3 - 22.2.3.0

I would say.

1. First of all Restart all services (I even add this to regular monthly cron job) and try again:
apachectl configtest && /bin/systemctl restart apache2 && /bin/systemctl restart php7.4-fpm && /bin/systemctl restart redis-server
  1. Clean up local browser cache.
  2. Could be that this is “only your” experience with your laptop/browser/slow network/etc. setup. Check with external tools how fast is your page, e.g. with https://pagespeed.web.dev/. You can share some folders with e.g. pictures and check how fast are they opens.
  3. Check with your browser. There are always Developers tools in different browsers and you can check Performance there. Could be that your server, or network not Performant enough.

So, inexplicably, it looks like removing LibreOffice broke something - it’s the only change I made, and visible, unpleasant slowness followed.

I wiped the computer, reinstalled exactly the same way, using the snap, and restored the same data - and now I’m back to the excellent performance I had before.

Thanks for the good guesses, gas85.

Deirdre

2 Likes