Sudden Error: “It looks like you are trying to reinstall your Nextcloud. However the file CAN_INSTALL is missing from your config directory. Please create the file CAN_INSTALL in your config folder to continue.”

Nextcloud version 24.01
Operating system and version Ubuntu 18.4
Apache or nginx version Apache/2.4.29
PHP version 7.4

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Suddenlty my nextcould installation is not working anymore, I have not changed anything, and I’m not trying to (re)-install nextcould.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

It looks like you are trying to reinstall your Nextcloud. However the file CAN_INSTALL is missing from your config directory. Please create the file CAN_INSTALL in your config folder to continue.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'RANDOMSYMBOLS',
);```

I am well aware that this error was already discussed here Sudden Error: "It looks like you are trying to reinstall your Nextcloud. However the file CAN_INSTALL is missing from your config directory. Please create the file CAN_INSTALL in your config folder to continue."

However I replaced the config.php with a backup. Now I am just getting the message internal server error. Does someone have some advise for me?

did you find the solution?
I have the same problem.

What I discovered is that my /root directory is full (100%)
All of a sudden. It actually does not make sense, Some days ago I saw that the disk was 68% used and the latest backup (two days ago) was smaller then the previous one due to the fact that I deleted a few GB’s of old files.

No Idea what I should do, I will probably just restore the proxmox backup from last night and see if the problem returns.

Well if you don’t find out, what filled up your /root folder, there is a risk that it happens again.

yes, that was my fear as well.

It might be significant to note that I’m using NCP (NextCloudPi) in a Proxmox VM. NCP comes with some additional features that could potentially have caused it.

but I restored anyways. All went well and i was able to once again access my nextcloud.
Yet after only a few minutes the NC went into maintanance mode and I could watch (df -h) the /root directory again filling up… rather scary.

Unfortunatly I did not really have time to have a deeper look waht is happening (very busy with work these days), so I just restarted the VM and disabled the maintanance mode afterwards.

It did not go back into maintanance mode so far and all is working fine for the last 12h

Just in case, I removed some (many) large files that where not needed any more and I’m now down to 55% disk usage.

I keep an eye on it.

Can someone remind me how to check logs (debian based system)? So I colud maybe see what was going on when the NC went in maintanance and was again filling up the disk space.