Sub 20mbs upload speed on an SSD, and I get a connection timout when uploading files above ~ 200mb

Nextcloud version: 28.0.2
Operating system and version: Linux 6.6.12-linuxkit x86_64
Apache version: 2.4.57
PHP version: 8.2.16

Hi, I have recently setup a nextcloud on a 2012 Mac Mini in docker with an Intel I7 3615QM CPU and 12GB of allocated ram. I have put docker desktop on top of opencore macOS Sonoma, which is what nextcloud is installed on. There are two drives on the server, one an internal 2tb ssd which is partitioned to give 500 to macOS and the rest to docker and server files, and an external NAS spec 4tb hard drive.

My server is on a 2gbit network, but the computer I’m transferring from only has a gigabit lan, so the max upload speed I can get it around 750mbps or 96mbs. Transferring a file between the two directly shows that I do get those speeds on both drives. But no matter what file size, when it’s through Nextcloud I get 20mbs on them. I’ve tested the server directly to the internet and it can do over 1500mbps down and up.

Lastly, when I try to upload files around ~ 200mb and over, I quickly get a connection error. I believe I have correctly set it not to do this in .htaccess shown below,

php_value upload_max_filesize 64G
php_value post_max_size 64G
php_value max_input_time 7200
php_value max_execution_time 7200
php_value memory_limit 12288M
php_value max_chunk_size 64G

but maybe I needed to do something else. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: N

Steps to replicate it:

1. Try to upload a file through the client or web browser.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

[no app in context] Error: Expected filesize of 86993782 bytes but read (from Nextcloud client) and wrote (to Nextcloud storage) 5513216 bytes. Could either be a network problem on the sending side or a problem writing to the storage on the server side.
	PUT /remote.php/dav/uploads/Kthor426/1100573277/00002
	from XXX.XX.XXX.XX by Kthor426 at Mar 30, 2024, 1:46:44 PM

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'htaccess.RewriteBase' => '/',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' =>
  array (
    'host' => 'XXX.XXX.X.X',
    'port' => '6379',),
  'apps_paths' =>
  array (
    0 =>
    array (
      'path' => '/var/www/html/apps',
      'url' => '/apps',
      'writable' => false,
    ),
    1 =>
    array (
      'path' => '/var/www/html/custom_apps',
      'url' => '/custom_apps',
      'writable' => true,
    ),
  ),
  'upgrade.disable-web' => true,
  'instanceid' => 'XXXXXXXXXXXX',
  'passwordsalt' => 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXX',
  'secret' => 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX',
  'trusted_domains' =>
  array (
    0 => 'localhost:8080',
    1 => 'XXXXXX.com',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/html/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '28.0.2.5',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://localhost:8080',
  'installed' => true,
  'overwriteprotocol' => 'https',
  'default_phone_region' => 'US',
  'enable_previews' => true,
   'enabledPreviewProviders' =>
   array (
     0 => 'OC\\Preview\\PNG',
     1 => 'OC\\Preview\\JPEG',
     2 => 'OC\\Preview\\GIF',
     3 => 'OC\\Preview\\HEIC',
     4 => 'OC\\Preview\\BMP',
     5 => 'OC\\Preview\\XBitmap',
     6 => 'OC\\Preview\\MP3',
     7 => 'OC\\Preview\\TXT',
     8 => 'OC\\Preview\\Markdown',
     9 => 'OC\\Preview\\PDF',
     10 => 'OC\\Preview\\Movie',
     11 => 'OC\\Preview\\MP4'
   ),
  'twofactor_enforced' => 'false',
  'twofactor_enforced_groups' =>
  array (
    0 => 'admin',
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced_excluded_groups' =>
  array (
  ),
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'maintenance' => false,
  'maintenance_window_start' => 6,
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'XXX.XX.XXX.XX',
  'dbuser' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbpassword' => 'PASSWORD',
  'filelocking.enabled' => true,
  'auth.bruteforce.protection.enabled' => true,
  'auth.bruteforce.whitelist' =>
  array (
    0 => 'XXX.XXX.XX.X',
    1 => 'XXX.XX.XXX.XX',
 ),
  'trusted_proxies' =>
  array (
    0 => 'XXX.XXX.XX.X',
  ),
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'sendmail',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => 'Alert',
  'mail_domain' => 'XXXXXX.com',
);

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

{"reqId":"Q9Hype2awiEKGlISmMGt","level":3,"time":"2024-03-30T23:28:09+00:00","remoteAddr":"XXX.XX.XXX.XX","user":"Kthor426","app":"no app in context","method":"PUT","url":"/remote.php/dav/uploads/Kthor426/2701990113/00001","message":"Expected filesize of 10000000 bytes but read (from Nextcloud client) and wrote (to Nextcloud storage) 5873664 bytes. Could either be a network problem on the sending side or a problem writing to the storage on the server side.","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows) mirall/3.12.2stable-Win64 (build 20240320) (Nextcloud, windows-10.0.22631 ClientArchitecture: x86_64 OsArchitecture: x86_64)","version":"28.0.2.5","exception":{"Exception":"Sabre\\DAV\\Exception\\BadRequest","Message":"Expected filesize of 10000000 bytes but read (from Nextcloud client) and wrote (to Nextcloud storage) 5873664 bytes. Could either be a network problem on the sending side or a problem writing to the storage on the server side.","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"/var/www/html/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Directory.php","line":148,"function":"put","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Connector\\Sabre\\File","type":"->","args":["*** sensitive parameters replaced ***"]},{"file":"/var/www/html/apps/dav/lib/Upload/UploadFolder.php","line":51,"function":"createFile","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Connector\\Sabre\\Directory","type":"->","args":["*** sensitive parameters replaced ***"]},{"file":"/var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":1098,"function":"createFile","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Upload\\UploadFolder","type":"->","args":["*** sensitive parameters replaced ***"]},{"file":"/var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/CorePlugin.php","line":504,"function":"createFile","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":["*** sensitive parameters replaced ***"]},{"file":"/var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php","line":89,"function":"httpPut","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\CorePlugin","type":"->","args":[["Sabre\\HTTP\\Request"],["Sabre\\HTTP\\Response"]]},{"file":"/var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":472,"function":"emit","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":["method:PUT",[["Sabre\\HTTP\\Request"],["Sabre\\HTTP\\Response"]]]},{"file":"/var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":253,"function":"invokeMethod","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":[["Sabre\\HTTP\\Request"],["Sabre\\HTTP\\Response"]]},{"file":"/var/www/html/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":321,"function":"start","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"/var/www/html/apps/dav/lib/Server.php","line":370,"function":"exec","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"/var/www/html/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php","line":35,"function":"exec","class":"OCA\\DAV\\Server","type":"->","args":[]},{"file":"/var/www/html/remote.php","line":172,"args":["/var/www/html/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php"],"function":"require_once"}],"File":"/var/www/html/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/File.php","Line":301,"message":"Expected filesize of 10000000 bytes but read (from Nextcloud client) and wrote (to Nextcloud storage) 5873664 bytes. Could either be a network problem on the sending side or a problem writing to the storage on the server side.","exception":[],"CustomMessage":"Expected filesize of 10000000 bytes but read (from Nextcloud client) and wrote (to Nextcloud storage) 5873664 bytes. Could either be a network problem on the sending side or a problem writing to the storage on the server side."},"id":"6608f5c498dde"}
[no app in context] Error: Could not decrypt or decode encrypted session data
	REPORT /remote.php/dav/files/Kthor426
	from XXX.XX.XXX.XX by -- at Mar 30, 2024, 2:11:45 PM