Stuck in upgrade cycle

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.2.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): 22.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.52
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Upgrade Nextcloud

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

too long for post see pastebin

https://pastebin.com/e5V4Lzcp

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => '----------------------------',
  'objectstore' => 
  array (
    'class' => '\\OC\\Files\\ObjectStore\\S3',
    'arguments' => 
    array (
      'bucket' => '------------------------------',
      'key' => '----------------------------------',
      'secret' => '---------------------------------------',
      'use_ssl' => true,
      'hostname' => '--------------------------------',
    ),
  ),
  'passwordsalt' => '----------------------------------',
  'secret' => '------------------------------------',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'nextcloud.domainnamehere',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/nextcloud.domainhere/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '25.0.10.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://nextcloud.domainnamehere',
  'dbname' => 'dbname',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'dbuser',
  'dbpassword' => '--------------------------',
  'installed' => true,
  'default_phone_region' => 'US',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'memcache.distributed' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' => 
  array (
    'host' => 'localhost',
    'port' => 6379,
  ),
 'maintenance' => false,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => 'it',
  'mail_domain' => '--------------',
  'mail_smtphost' => '---------------',
  'mail_smtpport' => '465',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtpname' => '--------',
  'mail_smtppassword' => '-----------',
  'app_install_overwrite' => 
  array (
    0 => 'files_mindmap',
    1 => 'printer',
    2 => 'drawio',
    3 => 'impersonate',
  ),
  'updater.secret' => '$2y$10$q.cQpENgtHwUT3FyQRRHx.QEqFIGR4266zh8n7nHh480im4p4Kzcm',
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 3,
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

Too long for post see pastebin

https://pastebin.com/9gNVRv7q

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

Too long for post see pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/fWP5YbR5

This started today when I was trying to get CRON jobs to work. I installed reddis to get that working. Then I thought I would try to update th later version of NC. During that process I discovered that my disk space was filled up. I had to delete some data to allow me to do that. Mostly I deleted older versions of NC in the /var/www/nextcloud/data/update directories.

Since the update was not able to finish, it changed the status in version.php to the new update, but it wasn’t really that version as the update couldn’t extract.

I’ve been running into problems trying to complete the update. I was trying to get it to update to the latest 25.X version when it stopped. Now its telling me that I’m on version 26 and its trying to update to 27. None of that is true and I know I don’t want to skip major update versions.

Now when I go the site, it just says :

‘’’
Nextcloud will be updated to version 25.04.1
Start Update (button)

‘’’

When I click that button it goes through the update process, says its done and then goes back to the same page again.

I can’t get anywhere

Please help

Jason

Hi @saltymedic - Sorry to hear of your situation. Let’s see if we can get this sorted out.

First, do you have backups of your server files and your database? Restoring from backups would probably be the easiest/most reliable to sort this out.

If backups aren’t available:

• Implement backups now before proceeding any further.

If restoring from a backup isn’t an option:

• Do you still have your updater.log from the first failed update attempt? (the one with where the update seemed incomplete due to disk space)?
  • What steps, precisely and to the best of your recollection, have you already taken (starting with how you did the initial update and ending with the latest things you’ve attempted)?
  • Can you clarify where you’re seeing references to v26 and v27? All of the logs and indications from the output your provided are that you’re stuck on various v25 iterations.

Thank you so much for helping me look into this.

No, I don’t have any backups. I’ve never looked into how to make those happen. That is something that is going to have to change for me now.

I did manage to make a copy of the config.php file before I started doing anything though.

Looking back I seem to remember there being a failed update back in April. I didn’t have time to look at it so I just continued to let the NC instance run as it was still working. I’ve gone through and created a new pastebin for the updater.log file. Everything from 2023-08-20 is where I tried updating yesterday. Previous to that I had not attempted an update since April. The pastebin has the update history from back then as well. It shows that there was an exception. I added a comment line separating between where I started yesterday and previous history

https://pastebin.com/bs9MwTdX

The order that I did things. I’ll try my best to recount that

I noticed when I logged into NC that it showed that the background process had not run in a few months. Searches help me find that that had to do with needing to install the Redis server. So I did that. Then I decided to try to run an update of NC as it showed that there were a few point releases since I had last updated. I think it was showing me on 25.0.4.1 and it was offering a 25.0.5 update.

I ran the updater through the graphical interface and it stopped on extracting. I did some looking and discovered that my linode was full. I use object storage for the data storage of the files in NC. I ran a command to find out where the largest files were in my linode (I only use it for NC). and I found that the updates were taking up a large portion of my storage. There were about 3 or 4 folders of updates so I deleted all but the most current one. That freed up enough disk space so that the update could now run past the extracting stage. After that things start to get fuzzy for me. I can’t remember if that turned out to be an successful update or not.

I think that it did successfully update then and I then tried to have it update to 25.0.10. At that point it seemed to get in a loop where it would say there was a successful update and then load back in to a Nextcould will be updated to … and start update loop. It would never progress. I tried using the command line update method and I can’t remember what happened with that. At some point it started showing that Nextcloud will be upadted to 27. I know that can’t be right as I had never moved up to 26 and you can’t skip releases. Anyway I couldn’t get it to stop showing that it was going to udpate to 27. At that point I deleted all of the update directories that were there. I also changed the version.php file to try to get it to match the version that I thought it should be as well as changed the config.php file to match the version that I thought it should be.

At this point it just showing Nextcloud will be updated to version 25.04.1 Every time I tell it to start the update, it says its successful but goes back to showing the same page saying that it will be updated to 25.04.1 and start update.

Hopefully this helps some

Thanks

Jason

@jtr I have now made a backup of my NC installation.

Thanks

Jason

I’ve managed to make some progress but I’m still looking for help with getting this fixed.

I deleted the previous Nextcloud server files and replaced them with the files from a NC 25.0.4 download. Upon first load Nextcloud was then able to load up the setup screen where I add DB and storage location on first load.

I then replaced the config/config.php file with my previous config.php so that it had the correct parameters to run. My storage is object storage.

Upon reload and If I’m not logged in and I go to load the NC page, it gives me the normal login prompt. Once I enter my user/pass I get:

Internal Server Error
The server was unable to complete your request.

If this happens again, please send the technical details below to the server administrator.

More details can be found in the server log.

Technical details
Remote Address: 140.197.244.114
Request ID: 0VNF0YMgsySmYZNQv7Rh

Any ideas on what I’m missing?

Thanks

Jason

When I run

sudo -u www-data php occ log:watch

This is what it shows:

Error    index              BadFunctionCallException: passwordHash is not a valid attribute at                             2023-08-28T00:55:44+00:00 
                              lib/public/AppFramework/Db/Entity.php line 136                                                                           

0. lib/public/AppFramework/Db/Entity.php line 165                                                                       
                                  OCP\AppFramework\Db\Entity->setter(                                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                               1. lib/public/AppFramework/Db/Entity.php line 73                                                                        
                                  OCP\AppFramework\Db\Entity->__call(                                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                               2. .../Token/PublicKeyTokenMapper.php line 138                                                                          
                                  OCP\AppFramework\Db\Entity::fromRow(                                                                                 

)                                                                                                                    
                               3. <<closure>>                                                                                                          
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\PublicKeyTokenMapper->OC\Authentication\Token\{closure}( ... *")                             
                               4. lib/private/Authentication/Token/PublicKeyTokenMapper.php line 137                                                   
                                  array_map(                                                                                                           

)                                                                                                                    
                               5. .../PublicKeyTokenProvider.php line 437                                                                              
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\PublicKeyTokenMapper->getTokenByUser("*** sensitive para ... *")                             
                               6. .../Manager.php line 241                                                                                             
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\PublicKeyTokenProvider->updatePasswords("*** sensitive p ... *")                             
                               7. .../UserLoggedInListener.php line 61                                                                                 
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\Manager->updatePasswords("*** sensitive parameters repla ... *")                             
                               8. .../ServiceEventListener.php line 87                                                                                 
                                  OC\Authentication\Listeners\UserLoggedInListener->handle(                                                            

)                                                                                                                    
                               9. .../EventDispatcher.php line 251                                                                                     
                                  OC\EventDispatcher\ServiceEventListener->__invoke(                                                                   

)                                                                                                                    
                              10. .../EventDispatcher.php line 73                                                                                      
                                  Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\EventDispatcher->callListeners(                                                    

)                                                                                                                    
                              11. .../EventDispatcher.php line 88                                                                                      
                                  Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\EventDispatcher->dispatch(                                                         

)                                                                                                                    
                              12. .../EventDispatcher.php line 100                                                                                     
                                  OC\EventDispatcher\EventDispatcher->dispatch(                                                                        

)                                                                                                                    
                              13. .../private/User/Session.php line 391                                                                                
                                  OC\EventDispatcher\EventDispatcher->dispatchTyped(                                                                   

)                                                                                                                    
                              14. .../Authentication/Login/CompleteLoginCommand.php line 44                                                            
                                  OC\User\Session->completeLogin("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")                                              
                              15. .../ALoginCommand.php line 40                                                                                        
                                  OC\Authentication\Login\CompleteLoginCommand->process(                                                               

)                                                                                                                    
                              16. .../LoggedInCheckCommand.php line 60                                                                                 
                                  OC\Authentication\Login\ALoginCommand->processNextOrFinishSuccessfully(                                              

)                                                                                                                    
                              17. .../ALoginCommand.php line 40                                                                                        
                                  OC\Authentication\Login\LoggedInCheckCommand->process(                                                               

)                                                                                                                    
                              18. .../EmailLoginCommand.php line 70                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    
                              19. .../Login/ALoginCommand.php line 40                                                                                  
                                  OC\Authentication\Login\EmailLoginCommand->process(                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                              20. .../UidLoginCommand.php line 54                                                                                      

)                                                                                                                    
                              21. .../Login/ALoginCommand.php line 40                                                                                  
                                  OC\Authentication\Login\UidLoginCommand->process(                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    
                              22. .../UserDisabledCheckCommand.php line 58                                                                             

)                                                                                                                    
                              23. .../ALoginCommand.php line 40                                                                                        
                                  OC\Authentication\Login\UserDisabledCheckCommand->process(                                                           

)                                                                                                                    
                              24. .../PreLoginHookCommand.php line 53                                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                              25. .../Login/Chain.php line 108                                                                                         
                                  OC\Authentication\Login\PreLoginHookCommand->process(                                                                

)                                                                                                                    
                              26. core/Controller/LoginController.php line 330                                                                         
                                  OC\Authentication\Login\Chain->process(                                                                              

)                                                                                                                    
                              27. .../Http/Dispatcher.php line 225                                                                                     
                                  OC\Core\Controller\LoginController->tryLogin("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")                                
                              28. .../Http/Dispatcher.php line 133                                                                                     
                                  OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                              29. lib/private/AppFramework/App.php line 172                                                                            
                                  OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(                                                                           

)                                                                                                                    
                              30. lib/private/Route/Router.php line 298                                                                                
                                  OC\AppFramework\App::main(                                                                                           

)                                                                                                                    
                              31. lib/base.php line 1047                                                                                               
                                  OC\Route\Router->match(                                                                                              

)                                                                                                                    
                              32. index.php line 36                                                                                                    
                                  OC::handleRequest(                                                                                                   

)                                                                                                                    

Error    index              BadFunctionCallException: passwordHash is not a valid attribute at                             2023-08-28T00:55:55+00:00 

)                                                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    
                               2. .../Token/PublicKeyTokenMapper.php line 91                                                                           

)                                                                                                                    
                               3. .../PublicKeyTokenProvider.php line 119                                                                              
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\PublicKeyTokenMapper->getToken("*** sensitive parameters ... *")                             
                               4. .../Token/Manager.php line 133                                                                                       
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\PublicKeyTokenProvider->getToken("*** sensitive paramete ... *")                             
                               5. lib/private/User/Session.php line 523                                                                                
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\Manager->getToken("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")                                   
                               6. lib/private/User/Session.php line 436                                                                                
                                  OC\User\Session->isTokenPassword("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")                                            
                               7. lib/private/User/Session.php line 575                                                                                
                                  OC\User\Session->logClientIn("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")                                                
                               8. lib/base.php line 1114                                                                                               
                                  OC\User\Session->tryBasicAuthLogin(                                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                               9. lib/base.php line 1036                                                                                               
                                  OC::handleLogin(                                                                                                     

)                                                                                                                    
                              10. index.php line 36                                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    

Error    webdav             Sabre\DAV\Exception\ServiceUnavailable: BadFunctionCallException: passwordHash is not a valid  2023-08-28T00:55:56+00:00 
                              attribute at apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php line 143                                                              

0. .../sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php line 180                                                                        
                                 OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth->check(                                                                                  

)                                                                                                                     
                              1. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php line 135                                                                   
                                 Sabre\DAV\Auth\Plugin->check(                                                                                         

)                                                                                                                     
                              2. .../sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php line 89                                                                  
                                 Sabre\DAV\Auth\Plugin->beforeMethod(                                                                                  

)                                                                                                                     
                              3. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 456                                                                        
                                 Sabre\DAV\Server->emit(                                                                                               

)                                                                                                                     
                              4. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 253                                                                        
                                 Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod(                                                                                       

)                                                                                                                     
                              5. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 321                                                                        
                                 Sabre\DAV\Server->start(                                                                                              

)                                                                                                                     
                              6. apps/dav/lib/Server.php line 360                                                                                      
                                 Sabre\DAV\Server->exec(                                                                                               

)                                                                                                                     
                              7. apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php line 35                                                                                
                                 OCA\DAV\Server->exec(                                                                                                 

)                                                                                                                     
                              8. remote.php line 171                                                                                                   
                                 require_once("\/var\/www\/nextcloud.risenlifeutah.org\/apps\/dav\/appinfo\/v2\/re ... p")                             

Error    no app in context  BadFunctionCallException: passwordHash is not a valid attribute at                             2023-08-28T00:55:56+00:00 

)                                                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\PublicKeyTokenMapper->getToken("*** sensitive parameters ... *")                             
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\PublicKeyTokenProvider->getToken("*** sensitive paramete ... *")                             
                                  OC\Authentication\Token\Manager->getToken("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")                                   
                               7. apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php line 113                                                                       
                               8. .../Backend/AbstractBasic.php line 103                                                                               
                                  OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth->validateUserPass("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")                              
                               9. .../lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php line 229                                                                            
                                  Sabre\DAV\Auth\Backend\AbstractBasic->check(                                                                         

)                                                                                                                    
                              10. apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php line 136                                                                       
                                  OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth->auth(                                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                              11. .../sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php line 180                                                                       

)                                                                                                                    
                              12. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php line 135                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                              13. .../sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php line 89                                                                 

)                                                                                                                    
                              14. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 456                                                                       
                                  Sabre\DAV\Server->emit(                                                                                              

)                                                                                                                    
                              15. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 253                                                                       

)                                                                                                                    
                              16. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 321                                                                       
                                  Sabre\DAV\Server->start(                                                                                             

)                                                                                                                    
                              17. apps/dav/lib/Server.php line 360                                                                                     
                                  Sabre\DAV\Server->exec(                                                                                              

)                                                                                                                    
                              18. apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php line 35                                                                               
                                  OCA\DAV\Server->exec(                                                                                                

)                                                                                                                    
                              19. remote.php line 171                                                                                                  
                                  require_once("\/var\/www\/nextcloud.risenlifeutah.org\/apps\/dav\/appinfo\/v2\/r ... p")                             

Error    index              BadFunctionCallException: passwordHash is not a valid attribute at                             2023-08-28T00:56:57+00:00 

)                                                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    
                               7. lib/private/User/Session.php line 575                                                                                
                               8. lib/base.php line 1114                                                                                               
                                  OC\User\Session->tryBasicAuthLogin(                                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                               9. lib/base.php line 1036                                                                                               
                                  OC::handleLogin(                                                                                                     

)                                                                                                                    
                              10. index.php line 36                                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    

Error    webdav             Sabre\DAV\Exception\ServiceUnavailable: BadFunctionCallException: passwordHash is not a valid  2023-08-28T00:56:58+00:00 
                              attribute at apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php line 143                                                              

0. .../sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php line 180                                                                        

)                                                                                                                     
                              1. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php line 135                                                                   

)                                                                                                                     
                              2. .../sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php line 89                                                                  

)                                                                                                                     
                              3. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 456                                                                        
                                 Sabre\DAV\Server->emit(                                                                                               

)                                                                                                                     
                              4. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 253                                                                        

)                                                                                                                     
                              5. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 321                                                                        
                                 Sabre\DAV\Server->start(                                                                                              

)                                                                                                                     
                              6. apps/dav/lib/Server.php line 360                                                                                      
                                 Sabre\DAV\Server->exec(                                                                                               

)                                                                                                                     
                              7. apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php line 35                                                                                
                                 OCA\DAV\Server->exec(                                                                                                 

)                                                                                                                     
                              8. remote.php line 171                                                                                                   
                                 require_once("\/var\/www\/nextcloud.risenlifeutah.org\/apps\/dav\/appinfo\/v2\/re ... p")                             

Error    no app in context  BadFunctionCallException: passwordHash is not a valid attribute at                             2023-08-28T00:56:58+00:00 

)                                                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    

)                                                                                                                    
                               7. apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php line 113                                                                       
                               8. .../Backend/AbstractBasic.php line 103                                                                               
                                  OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth->validateUserPass("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")                              
                               9. .../lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php line 229                                                                            
                                  Sabre\DAV\Auth\Backend\AbstractBasic->check(                                                                         

)                                                                                                                    
                              10. apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Auth.php line 136                                                                       
                                  OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Auth->auth(                                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                              11. .../sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php line 180                                                                       

)                                                                                                                    
                              12. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Auth/Plugin.php line 135                                                                  

)                                                                                                                    
                              13. .../sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php line 89                                                                 

)                                                                                                                    
                              14. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 456                                                                       
                                  Sabre\DAV\Server->emit(                                                                                              

)                                                                                                                    
                              15. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 253                                                                       

)                                                                                                                    
                              16. 3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 321                                                                       
                                  Sabre\DAV\Server->start(                                                                                             

)                                                                                                                    
                              17. apps/dav/lib/Server.php line 360                                                                                     
                                  Sabre\DAV\Server->exec(                                                                                              

)                                                                                                                    
                              18. apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php line 35                                                                               
                                  OCA\DAV\Server->exec(                                                                                                

)                                                                                                                    
                              19. remote.php line 171                                                                                                  
                                  require_once("\/var\/www\/nextcloud.risenlifeutah.org\/apps\/dav\/appinfo\/v2\/r ... p")        ```

I discovered another post here where a similar problem was happening. I followed their solution and it is working now

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/badfunctioncallexception-passwordhash-is-not-a-valid-attribute-at-lib-public-appframework-db-entity-php-line-136/158906/6

Welcome to the club. The Nextcloud update process is truly a nightmare. Nothing seems to function unless you navigate through a few hacks and shortcuts.