Step 6 is currently in process. 25.0.13 to 26.0.13

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.13
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Red Hat 8.10
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.37
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.0.30

The issue you are facing:
When attempted upgrade it gets stuck at Step 6

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. As per other post, delete the .step file and try the update again
  2. Attempt upgrade and get stuck at Step 6 again

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

No recent log from today. However, here is the updater.log

2024-05-23T16:11:23+0000 fi3HZFcIpt [info] Step 5 is in state "end".
2024-05-23T16:11:23+0000 fi3HZFcIpt [info] POST request for step "6"
2024-05-23T16:11:23+0000 fi3HZFcIpt [info] startStep("6")
2024-05-23T16:11:23+0000 fi3HZFcIpt [info] extractDownload()
2024-05-23T16:11:23+0000 fi3HZFcIpt [info] storage location: /var/www/html/nextcloud/data/updater-oc4986ymiejz/downloads/
2024-05-23T16:11:53+0000 eNZi7pX65R [info] request to updater
2024-05-23T16:11:53+0000 eNZi7pX65R [info] currentStep()
2024-05-23T16:11:53+0000 eNZi7pX65R [info] Step 6 is in state "start".
2024-05-23T16:14:22+0000 HGsWWP4rNP [info] request to updater
2024-05-23T16:14:22+0000 HGsWWP4rNP [info] currentStep()
2024-05-23T16:14:22+0000 HGsWWP4rNP [info] Step 6 is in state "start".
2024-05-23T16:14:55+0000 5XWQQaeAE8 [info] request to updater
2024-05-23T16:14:55+0000 5XWQQaeAE8 [info] currentStep()
2024-05-23T16:14:55+0000 5XWQQaeAE8 [info] Step 6 is in state "start".
2024-05-23T16:20:16+0000 JIYujBPbzg [info] request to updater
2024-05-23T16:20:16+0000 JIYujBPbzg [info] currentStep()
2024-05-23T16:20:16+0000 JIYujBPbzg [info] Step 6 is in state "start".

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'oc4986ymiejz',
  'passwordsalt' => 'omitted',
  'secret' => 'omitted',
  'trusted_domains' =>
  array (
    0 => 'tyrell.offworld.lan',
    1 => 'omitted Tailscale info',
    2 => 'tyrell',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/html/nextcloud/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '25.0.13.2',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://tyrell.offworld.lan/nextcloud',
  'dbname' => 'nextclouddb',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'omitted',
  'dbpassword' => 'omitted',
  'bulkupload.enabled' => false,
  'installed' => true,
  'allow_local_remote_servers' => true,
  'onlyoffice' =>
  array (
    'verify_peer_off' => true,
  ),
  'maintenance' => false,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'updater.secret' => 'omitted',
);
~  

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

No recent valid logging

PASTE HERE

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

PASTE HERE

Are you running the Updater in Web mode or from the command line?

If possible, run from the command line. It’s possible there is some other weird error from the OS or filesystem or something unexpected that isn’t appearing in the logs. It may be visible at the command line.

Doing it via web.
I’m not familiar with the command line option. I’ll see what I can find on that process.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/maintenance/update.html#using-the-command-line-based-updater

Thanks. Yep, found that. Reading now.

So, since I am using RHEL, I ran the following:

sudo -u apache php updater/updater.phar

I immediately got this error:

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'zip.so' (tried: /usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so (/usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so: undefined symbol: zip_compression_method_supported), /usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so.so (/usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)) in Unknown on line 0
[✔] Check for expected files
[✔] Check for write permissions
[✔] Create backup
[✔] Downloading
[✔] Verify integrity
[ ] Extracting ...PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Class "ZipArchive" not found in phar:///var/www/html/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php:697

I’m currently in the process of trying to find php-zip for RHEL 8 that may fix this problem. If anyone out there has been through this and knows the solution, please post.

Update:
So I’m not sure what is going on with my php and Nextcloud but that module is on my server.

[root@tyrell nextcloud]# locate zip.so
/usr/java/jdk-17.0.2/lib/libzip.so
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.412.b08-2.el8.x86_64/jre/lib/amd64/libzip.so
/usr/lib64/libzip.so.5
/usr/lib64/libzip.so.5.1
/usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so

This vaguely rings a bell. remember there being weirdness in some RHEL scenarios when PHP stopped bundling it’s own libzip around PHP 7.4. I don’t recall the specifics.

What version of libzip is it? That function appeared in libzip 1.7.0 (in 2020).

[root@tyrell nextcloud]# rpm -qa | grep libzip
libzip-1.6.1-1.module+el8.3.0+6678+b09f589e.x86_64

Yep. Are you able to install the Remi one? It’s newer.

I just found the article on how to do that (How to Install PHP 8 on CentOS/RHEL 8/7 Linux) and am trying that now.

Completed the adding of the repos, reset and installs and it is still giving me the same error:

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library 'zip.so' (tried: /usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so (/usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so: undefined symbol: zip_compression_method_supported), /usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so.so (/usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)) in Unknown on line 0

Looks like the remi zip library is there now also:

[root@tyrell nextcloud]# rpm -qa | grep libzip
libzip-1.6.1-1.module+el8.3.0+6678+b09f589e.x86_64
remi-libzip-1.10.1-1.el8.remi.x86_64

And this is a new command I learned, if it helps.

[root@tyrell nextcloud]# dnf module list php
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:12:09 ago on Thu 23 May 2024 02:45:42 PM EDT.
Remi's Modular repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64
Name                                    Stream                                          Profiles                                                      Summary                                                  
php                                     remi-7.2                                        common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     remi-7.3                                        common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     remi-7.4                                        common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     remi-8.0 [e]                                    common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     remi-8.1                                        common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     remi-8.2                                        common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     remi-8.3                                        common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (RPMs)
Name                                    Stream                                          Profiles                                                      Summary                                                  
php                                     7.2 [d]                                         common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     7.3                                             common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     7.4                                             common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     8.0                                             common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language                                   
php                                     8.2                                             common [d], devel, minimal                                    PHP scripting language

Now I’m getting this message when I visit the web interface.

Well, I was successful in the upgrade of Nextcloud. One thing I didn’t do after making those PHP repo changes and installs is updating the OS. Just for the heck of it, I ran a dnf update, it updated a bunch of PHP packages, including the libzip package, rebooted and the Nextcloud upgrade worked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.