Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 22.214.171.124
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): raspbian 11 bullseye
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.56 (Raspbian)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): PHP 8.1.18 (cli)
The issue you are facing:
I installed everything following a tutorial with a self signed cert on my raspberry pi with port forwarding from the router. i was able to connect with laptop, desktop, mobile browser and android app. i did get the initial warning from the browser, but that doesn’t really bother me. however, i was not able to link thunderbird with tbsync nor the DAVx5 app and this was its raison d’être. so, i thought maybe this was because of the lack of ssl. so i then followed a mishmash of tutorials and was able to get a domain with noip.com and a cert from letsencrypt.com and installed ducdns. after setting all that up i was able to bring up the nextcloud server using the domain name with no warnings on my laptop and was very proud of myself…until i tried accessing it on any other device. for some reason it connects no problem on my laptop, but the desktop, mobile browser and android app all have issues now. the android app says ‘ssl initializaiton failed’ and the other browsers say 'This site can’t be reached kenkloud.hopto.org unexpectedly closed the connection.
Checking the connection
I have no idea where to even start fixing this. My guess is something from the old config is confusing the new or is duplicate. Any help, even where to look, would be much appreciated. Thanks
Are you running a reverse proxy in front of Apache? I’m trying to figure out where the TLS (SSL) termination is happening. Another way to answer this might be, where did you setup the Lets Encrypt stuff?
What’s different about the laptop situation? Are all of these devices being tested from the same location and LAN or different places?
For what it’s worth, kenkloud.hopto.org does does not have a TLS/HTTPS server running on it (at least not on 443) and the page on port 80 is just the default Raspbian/Debian install one. If you’re running on non-default ports that may be expected, but otherwise that’s an issue.
I don’t think so. I’m not even sure what that is. I did initially attempt to set up the raspberry pi with with my VPN, but that made everything not work and so I disconnected it on the pi. The LE stuff is all installed on the pi. I’m not sure what’s different about the laptop, but I’d be happy to provide logs or reports about whatever might help you determine this, as long as you’re explicit about how to find. I am not a networking guy and this is all a bit over my head. Everything is being tested on the local network, although I want to be able to access from outside eventually. I have tried turning off wifi on the phone to see if outside the network makes a difference and it does not. I have modified the configs quite a bit trying to make it work and so i wouldn’t be surprised if I’ve completely messed things up. There shouldn’t be anything on ports other than 80 and 443. That’s how I initially set it up.
Alright. Let’s start with tracking down your Apache error log.
On Raspbian/Debian it’s likely: /var/log/apache2/error.log
There are a million ways to configure things. Fortunately there are a few more common approaches and tutorial writers are generally lazy or follow norms so if you followed a bunch of random tutorials we can likely reverse engineer it. hah
I’d also be interested in the contents of any files in: /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ (they are the main config files for the domains you setup)