"SSL initialization failed" from Android app when phone is on home network

I’ve noticed that my Nextcloud Client App (Android v3.20.3) can’t seem to connect in the background to auto upload photos when I’m on the home nentwork (same network, though different VLAN/subnet from Nextcloud), but it seems to upload fine whenever I’m at work.

Mostly, I’ve just seen a bunch of notifications on the phone saying something like “failed to upload”, and often also a bunch off conflict resolution dialogs (“overwrite existing?”). The common theme is that I can’t do anything about it. When clicking the notification on the phone, I either get an error that the app can’t show what the notification was about, or (in the case of failed uploads) that I can retry failed. But they just fail again.

Every now and then, I’ll also see the “SSL initialization failed”.

As mentioned, it’s only when on the home network. But I can browse all the folders just fine via the app, and I can also connect just fine (and keep folders synced) on my computer, even on the home network. It only seems to be an issue for auto-uploading things in the Android App.

Which is why I thought the issue was not identical to the dozens of similar posts here and around the internet.

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 24.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): FreeBSD Jail on 12.2-RELEASE-p6 with host OS being TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx 1.20.2 (running on different machine)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.0.18

EDIT: I get an “A+” on SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs), since that’s often what is asked for questions like this.

I suspect this is more of a DNS and NAT problem than an SSL/TLS problem; I’ve got a similar issue with my home setup.
Long story short, your phone is probably talking to a different web server (maybe your router’s admin web page?) when it tries to connect to Nextcloud from within your LAN. You can fix this by adjusting DNS settings for your phone when connected to the LAN, or by messing with your NAT/port-forwarding rules, if your router gives you deep access to those.

Here’s a breakdown of the problem I suspect you’re seeing. A little wordy, but hopefully it helps anyone else with similar trouble.

Happy Path: Remote
When your phone is out and about and it looks up your Nextcloud domain’s IP address from any public DNS server, it gets the public IP of your home router. You’ve set up your router to port-forward connections coming from the internet through to your Nextcloud installation’s LAN IP, so the router does some NAT magic and it all just works.

Happy Path: Local
When your home computer needs your Nextcloud domain’s IP, I suspect it asks your router or some other DNS server you’ve got running, or maybe you’ve got an entry in your hosts file. Regardless of the method, the computer probably receives your Nextcloud installation’s LAN IP, so it connects directly - no port forwarding, no NAT, no problems.

Unhappy Path: Mixed
When your phone is on your home network and looks up that IP, it’s probably getting your router’s public IP address, and it starts a connection to that IP just like it would if you were on some other network.
But since your connection isn’t coming in from the internet, your router doesn’t apply the port-forwarding rule. Without it, your router just sees a web connection request coming from your LAN, and addressed to an IP that belongs to the router. It doesn’t matter that it’s the router’s internet-facing IP, just that the connection comes from the LAN and is addressed to the router, so what the router is supposed to do is… connect you to its web admin console.
Your phone checks the certificate provided by the admin console, finds that it’s NOT your Nextcloud server’s certificate, and drops the whole connection attempt with “SSL initialization failed”.

So, how to make sure your phone gets your Nextcloud’s LAN IP, when it’s connected to the LAN?

• Make sure your local DNS server (your router?) is giving out the right IP when queried for your Nextcloud domain name
  • Make sure your phone is actually set to use your local DNS server, which isn’t as obvious as it should be.
    • If you’ve been connected to your Nextcloud through another internet connection pretty recently, it may have the IP cached instead of asking again.
    • If you’ve still got your cellular data on, your phone might be using its DNS settings for that connection.
    • Android’s “Secure DNS” feature ignores the DNS server hints provided by DHCP to use Google’s service, unless you’ve set up your local DNS server to do DNS over SSL, or just disabled the feature.
    • If your DHCP server provides multiple DNS server hints, your phone might just pick the wrong one. Mine does, because my local DNS resolver is sometimes slow. :person_shrugging:

Since you’ve got multiple subnets, you will also need to be sure that your Nextcloud server is reachable from the subnet you connect your phone to - whether you just allow web traffic between the subnets, or you have some additional port-forwarding rule with another internal address, that’s another layer to check for further issues.

Same issue here. The possible explanation doesn’t make sense in my case since the DNS-entry is an AAAA IPv6 entry and the IP is valid in the local network, too, there’s no port forwarding involved. Also it used to work flawlessly with the exact same Network settings. And since everything else besides the Upload works it really looks like a bug there.
It actually looks like the Upload starts (progress bar with percentages counting up) and then breaks with an SSL error.

Maybe you can search Hairpinning and/or NAT-Traversal for your home router.

I restarted the Nextcloud Server, whatever it was it seems to be solved now and it may have been a temporary server issue. I’ll see what happens.
(btw. Hairpinning and NAT-Traversal were irrelevant, as I wrote I use IPv6 only with a fixed IPv6, there’s no NAT involved, just a firewall)

1 Like

Hello, I have the same issue. Everything works fine on my setup, but recently I can no longer sync the files from my phone on my local wifi. My Nextcloud 27.1.5 is installed on Debian Bullseye and I use NGINX reverse proxy on another machine + DuckDNS. Android application version 3.27.0. I have restarted the server + application and cleared the app cache, but the problem persists. Could you please help me?