Speculation: Which wellknown software is going to join NC?

Hey forumists,

there are rumours that some bigger and pretty wellknown “app” is going to join Nextcloud in the very next future…

• What have you heard about that?
  • What do you think, which “app” is going to join in?
  • What would that mean for NC?
  • And last but not least: what do you think about those rumours?

Looking forward to your speculations

1 Like

Hmm, I wonder if this new category that has recently been added to the forum might be related to the app you are referring to? :thinking:

2 Likes

One of the abandoned apps in the Nextcloud store, spotted that one earlier and wondered what happened. Would be interesting to see that replacing all the work done on the native functionality.

I was wondering about this too, and there are three possibilities I can think of:

1. The existing Nextcloud Mail app will be rebuilt on top of Roundcube.

2. A relatively “simple” official app is released that integrates Roundcube more or less as is to Nextcloud, and Nextcloud Mail continues to be developed independently.

3. Nextcloud Mail will be replaced by this “simple” official Roundcube app. Very unlikely as the UI is completely different from Nextcloud’s and Nextcloud-specific integrations are missing.

I personally hope for option 1, however, I think it is more likely to be option 2.

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

There are some news out there:
Roundcube Open-Source Webmail Software Merges Into Nextcloud

and now here the official announcement from NC:

This topic was automatically closed after 22 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.