[Solved] Next cloud Installed twice but still horrible look

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.0.2.5
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 12
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx 1.22.1
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.2

Connecting from notebook Dell XPS running Ubuntu 22.04 or Mac M1 Debian 12 the pages are sort of unreadable and scrolling is impossible in apps section for example.

The source of page shows

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" /> <meta name="apple-itunes-app" content="app-id=1125420102"> <meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes"> <meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" content="black"> <meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-title" content="Nextcloud"> <meta name="mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. each time I try to connect

Screenshot is available here

Thanks for your help.
Daniel

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.0.2.5
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian12
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx 1.22.1
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.2

The issue you are facing:

Display of pages is crappy, unreadable and on some pages it’snot possible to scroll down. On second picture you can see that clicking on help does display a normal pop page.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. All the time, see pictures.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'myid',
  'passwordsalt' => 'mypwdsalt',
  'secret' => 'mysecret',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'host.domain.tld',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/nextcloud/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '28.0.2.5',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://host.domain.tld',
  'dbname' => 'mydbname',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'mydbuser',
  'dbpassword' => 'mydbpwd',
  'installed' => true,
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

Nothing special in access.log

empty error.log

Lot of 

"exception": {},
    "CustomMessage": "Failed to fetch the Collabora capabilities endpoint: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 45002 milliseconds with 0 bytes received (see https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html) for https://tdrive.tootai.net/apps/richdocumentscode/proxy.php?req=/hosting/capabilities"

in nextcloud.log
  • Are you using the Nginx config from https://docs.nextcloud.com for v28?
  • Look at your browser console, under the Network tab, while loading any of the problematic pages. Look for things that aren’t loading, in red, etc.

I suspect something in your environment/configuration is either triggering CSP or unexpected http->https redirects or something along those lines. But if your Nginx config isn’t up-to-date, that could also be a factor.

1 Like

My client’s nextcloud.conf for nginx if that’s of any help:

https://maltsystems-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/rob_nicholson_maltsystems_co_uk/EWiBtHDqnsFCg7jVvuuaH0IBuKMkZkGV3SY-Y_krPojRxA?e=PHo83r

Thanks. I already adapt my nginx.conf against the one of the documentation and indeed it helps for the display but create/or new problems arise: nextcloud is very very very slow :frowning: and I get errors like

hash_hkdf(): Argument #2 ($key) cannot be empty in file ‘/var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Security/Crypto.php’ line 149

Well well well …

@robnicholsonmalt, I couldn’t download your nginx.conf file, blank page.

For the crypto error I needed to change the Crypto.php file, line 121 to replace

if ($password === ‘’) {
with
if ($password === $secret) {

Display is still not 100% as you can see here (corner up left)

and I get also the message you see “Invalid private key for app crypting, please update your password in personnal data” -what I did- but the password is not taken in account, I see “Registering” that’s all

If someone had any clue …

This is a new installation? This makes it sound like you’ve provisioned server-side encryption (which is definitely not enabled by default). So what else have you changed when attempting these two installations?

No, I move to a new server: new installation + backup restore. On the old server server-side encryption was not enabled.

I also now face problem with applications like Thunderbird on notebooks or smartphone davx and Nextcloud android app which doesn’t connect any more.

A pain this move :frowning:

Finally I got it stable, stays the problem of the “Invalid private key bla bla bla”. It doesn’t seem to disturb the usage but it’s anoing. Perhaps related to the modification I had to do in Crypto.php but I don’t think so.

Finally I got it stable, stays the problem of the “Invalid private key bla bla bla”. It doesn’t seem to disturb the usage but it’s anoing.

This comes from the encryption app and only if encryption configuration has been triggered. Can you share output of occ app:list and occ encryption:status?

Perhaps related to the modification I had to do in Crypto.php but I don’t think so.

The Crypto.php change suggests something possibly related to your migration. When you migrated did you copy over the same secret from your config.php?

app:list

Enabled:

• activity: 2.20.0
  • bruteforcesettings: 2.8.0
  • calendar: 4.6.5
  • circles: 28.0.0-dev
  • cloud_federation_api: 1.11.0
  • comments: 1.18.0
  • contacts: 5.5.2
  • contactsinteraction: 1.9.0
  • dashboard: 7.8.0
  • dav: 1.29.1
  • encryption: 2.16.0
  • federatedfilesharing: 1.18.0
  • federation: 1.18.0
  • files: 2.0.0
  • files_external: 1.20.0
  • files_pdfviewer: 2.9.0
  • files_reminders: 1.1.0
  • files_sharing: 1.20.0
  • files_trashbin: 1.18.0
  • files_versions: 1.21.0
  • firstrunwizard: 2.17.0
  • logreader: 2.13.0
  • lookup_server_connector: 1.16.0
  • nextcloud_announcements: 1.17.0
  • notifications: 2.16.0
  • oauth2: 1.16.3
  • password_policy: 1.18.0
  • photos: 2.4.0
  • privacy: 1.12.0
  • provisioning_api: 1.18.0
  • recommendations: 2.0.0
  • related_resources: 1.3.0
  • serverinfo: 1.18.0
  • settings: 1.10.1
  • sharebymail: 1.18.0
  • support: 1.11.0
  • survey_client: 1.16.0
  • suspicious_login: 6.0.0
  • systemtags: 1.18.0
  • text: 3.9.1
  • theming: 2.3.0
  • twofactor_backupcodes: 1.17.0
  • twofactor_totp: 10.0.0-beta.2
  • updatenotification: 1.18.0
  • user_status: 1.8.1
  • viewer: 2.2.0
  • weather_status: 1.8.0
  • workflowengine: 2.10.0
    Disabled:
  • admin_audit: 1.18.0
  • mail: 3.5.6
  • notes: 4.9.2
  • richdocuments: 8.3.1 (installed 8.3.1)
  • user_ldap: 1.19.0

encryption:status

• enabled: false
  • defaultModule: OC_DEFAULT_MODULE

Yes, I copy data and adapt config.php. If not, I would have an HMAC error.

BTW, I also notice that Thunderbird and android davx doesn’t connect anymore. I tried with the user password as well as an application password, no luck. Does the fact that I enabled 2Factor auth could create those rejects ?

I wrote to early: nextcloud clients are unable to write to the data directory as some dirs on client side doesn’t exist on the server and despite the fact that client shows all synchronized.

What’s the way to force client to synchronize even if folders aren’t existing ?

[Un|Re]installing Nextcloud app did the job.

Thanks for the support

1 Like

Solved in [Solved] Next cloud Installed twice but still horrible look

In case anyone is looking here after the fact. The browser DEV tools F12 (network analysis) might have provided a clue.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.