[SOLVED] Group Folders, file rename & zombie files

Hi all,

Some facts first:

Nextcloud 28.0.5
Groupfolders: 16.0.6
PHP: 8.2.7
mysql: 10.11.6
Nextcloud client (win): 3.10.1

One of my users has renamed files, simple right-click and rename, in file explorer. The Windows Client has somehow managed to sync new files but also retain what should have been deleted. So in the shared folder (located in a group folder) we see both, old and new files.

Checking the file system, only the new files exist and trying to do anything with the missing files ends with an error (e.g: “Delete file” failed on some elements)/obviously.

Now, I scanned the server with occ files:scan --all, occ groupfolders:scan <id>, even tried occ sharing:delete-orphan-shares, all with no luck.

Those ghost files remain visible in the browser and are listed in the file explorer (not accessible in either case).

Any suggestions how to get rid of them?

Just for understanding:

• The renamed files remain with old and new filename in the Windows folder (duplicated).
  • The files on NC server in /mnt/ndcata/__groupfolders/groupfoldername or similar all have the new filenames and the files with old filenames are gone.
  • What about the file(name)s in the browser?
  • Whatablout the activity log of the Nextcloud desktop-client while/after renaming?
  • What about the Nextcloud.log on the server while/after renaming?

Hi Mornsgrans,

• The renamed files remain with old and new filename in the Windows folder (duplicated).
    yes - both are visible
  • The files on NC server in /mnt/ndcata/__groupfolders/groupfoldername or similar all have the new filenames and the files with old filenames are gone.
    yes - only the new files are present
  • What about the file(name)s in the browser?
    both are visible
  • What about the activity log of the Nextcloud desktop-client while/after renaming?
    can’t get to that at the moment
  • What about the Nextcloud.log on the server while/after renaming?
    didn’t check this before - I get tons of

"message":"Trying to access array offset on value of type null at /var/www/nextcloud/apps/groupfolders/lib/ACL/ACLManager.php#120","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows) mirall/3.10.1stable-Win64 (build 20231025) (Nextcloud, windows-10.0.19045 ClientArchitecture: x86_64 OsArchitecture: x86_64)","version":"28.0.5.1","data":{"app":"PHP"}

Thanks for looking at this.

Got this resolved…
not the most technical way (and I don’t understand what have caused it) but it works.

Solution:
As this issues was caused by (possibly) Windows Client while files were renamed, I decided to copy them back with the ‘zombie’ names. Done occ grupfolders:scan <id> then moved the share to another location and back in the same place. Deleted the unwanted files… Looks alright, no more errors, will keep an eye on this folder though.

Cheers

2 Likes