Snappy for Small User Base?

Hi, could I get some insights on whether or not Snappy could “replace” the overheads required for a “manual” LAMP+NextCloud installation for a small user base? Or is this really just for families and single user use cases?

Given I only seen this so far https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap/wiki/Snap-or-VM%3F

Which is easy enough to understand on it own but doesn’t really confirm whether or not it can be used as I looking into.

I fully understand it’s not suppose to replace a enterprise setup on a dedicated server for example but would it be enough to start an operation then worry about a “normal” installation down the road and move everything to it from Snappy?

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts that I receive from this.

Hey there! I’m the primary maintainer of the snap so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Hi, could I get some insights on whether or not Snappy could “replace” the overheads required for a “manual” LAMP+NextCloud installation for a small user base?

I’m not quite sure what “overhead” you’re referring to, can you clarify? I will point out that the snap IS an optimized LAMP stack (Apache, MySQL, and PHP). It’s not like it’s using poorly-scaling tech like sqlite3. This thing is made for production, and I’m using it that way now both for myself and for my wife’s photography business (we have over 4TB in there right now). I know of multiple small businesses using it, and it’s even undergone professional security audits. It will scale just as well as a “normal” installation, so if you’re happy with its opinionated nature you can just not worry about it.

If you want to tinker with it, though, want to use a different database, different webserver, or install Nextcloud in an HA manner for thousands of users-- those are all totally valid things, but the snap probably isn’t for you.

1 Like

How wonderful, thank you very much for giving me easily digestible information regarding this matter and for additional information for better assurance that it will works well for these purposes excluding REALLY massive deployments and/or special deployment requirements like HA setups and such. :slight_smile:

Sure thing. Just don’t put it on an rpi and come back and quote me, okay :wink: ? Give it some good hardware and it’ll serve you well.

And of course, always feel free to log an issue if you have any problems.

1 Like