Snap refresh: copy snap nextcloud data takes forever

Dear nextcloud community,
today I “refreshed” the nextcloud snap for the very first time. For 2 hours it says “copy snap nextcloud data” (or in German "Daten von Snap “nextcloud” kopieren).
My details:
[/details]

Nextcloud version: 24.0.4snap1
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 22.04
Apache or nginx version: not relevant
PHP version: not relevant

The issue you are facing:
Obviously, the update process does something, it should not do or it lasts longer as usual. On other machines I use nextcloud with apache and mysql and not as snap - the update needs 1-3 minutes. Done.
Snap - hours. Why? Does it copy my data? Where to - I can see no movement and no disk space changing. It’s almost 200 GB of data and nextcloud is configured to use external storage that is attached as an external harddrive via USB to the server.
I regret deeply using nextcloud as snap.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? : Yes, because it is the first time I updated the snap.

Steps to replicate it: I guess “snap refresh nextcloud” but I can’t test because it still copies data.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Unfortunately unaccessible due to update process.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

It's a snap.

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

It's a snap.

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

It's a snap.

Any help appreciated:

• Can I stop the process without loosing data?
  • Will I just have to wait 1-4 days?
  • What does the process even do? How can I avoid this the next time refreshing the snap?

Many thanks and best regards
Muhackl

Hello,

I am no expert, but I think, by default, snap will always (unless manually modified) update itself & all dependencies automatically. Without any user intervention and by default it will check for update availability 4 times a day.

Secondly, in case of a snap update screw up, you can always revert back to the previous working version.

sudo snap revert nextcloud

But since you are somewhat worried about the user data, I would suggest to backup the user data directory before attempting to run any fixing commands. Just in case.

Thanks.

It would really be interesting, WHAT nexcloud or the nextcloud refresh copied there. I waited another 3 hours, checked “physically” what’s happening (the nextcloud data is on a HDD) and the harddisk was completely silent and doing nothing. The processes (htop) did not tell the right story and even “snap changes” was not really informative. So I aborted the refresh “somehow”, by finally rebooting the machine. And - hey - nextcloud was working again and even updated to the latest version. So whatever the status was trying to tell - it bs.