Snap and External Storage - permissions?

Nextcloud version: 22.2.1
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Apache or nginx version: Not sure. It’s what’s in the Snap package
PHP version: 7.4.23

I have a directory filled with music on my server I used to access on other computers using mpd and Plex. I want these files to be accessible remotely from Nextcloud and more importantly I want to be able to update this folder by adding music or updating the tags in the files remotely.

I thought the best way to handle this would be to use the External Storage app and link Nextcloud to the folder, but I’m confused how permissions are supposed to work. Right now I can not move or update files through Nextcloud and can only do it on the server itself. I’m using the Snap version of Nextcloud and it seems like it’s saving files as root instead of www-data. Should I be making a special user account for Nextcloud so I can have a group on these files and folders? If I save a new file remotely, how can I get the file to be written as this user instead of root? Am I confused how this is supposed to be setup?

Is the music on the same server? If yes i think the best way is to use for the music folder the same user e.g. www-data:www-data . Also use local for connection. Sorry not tested with Snap.