Slow upload and download speed on raspberry pi

How would i go about testing what in php is causing it?

Nginx il try.

32 bit is a no go, i used to use it but it wouldnt let me upload anything above 1gb. Thus defeating the point of fast ethernet speed.

Good question. The developers use tools like blackfire.io that can create profiles, so you see what happens on a code-level (without knowledge of the code, I’m not sure if it is helping you a lot).

Perhaps check out around the NextcloudPi project, they are focussed on running Nextcloud on a raspberry and know very well the limitations. There are certainly people running it in their local network (1 Gbit/s), so if many reach higher speeds than you, it’s your environment, if nobody gets more, then it’s the php code.

Wow what an amazing idea. Il definitely checkout nextcloudpi

I have the same problem with nextcloud-docker (20.0.4) on Raspberry pi 4. I don’t want to use nextcloud-pi as I love the docker way…are there any other options?

Do u also use the 64 bit beta? Theres a docker version of nextcloud pi btw

No I use hypriot-os latest (32bit) but also have Speed around 2-10 Mbits…I use the official docker image…

Here are some reports about 20 MB/s:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NextCloud/comments/ge1qad/what_is_your_updown_speeds_for_a_raspberry_pi_4/

And some tuning potential of the CPU:

yeah i see. mine was already running on 2ghz so cant change that anymore. (2147 oc would make a 2.2 ghz oc but i dont have enough power for it)

Overclocking seems risky to the stability of the pi…what is your experience with 2GHz? Does it bring a notable improvement?

my experience is that its perfectly stable. im using the stock charger and an over voltage of 7. i always oced my pi so i dont know the difference between stock.

could u tell me more about docker. does it still let u manage all the apps and such (able to uninstall)

Yes that works perfectly :-). You can modify everything which makes it way better than snap. T another advantage are smooth updates. I always had problems with directly installed nextcloud when I was doing updates. Another big advantage is the usage of traefik → this way you can create a save and TLS encrypted reverse proxyied environment which fulfills all security-needs :slight_smile:. For me, the docker-nextcloud is unbeatable regarding usability and administration. → everything in docker is from stock configured correctly (no warnings except SSL)

i see. thank you i wil try the nextcloud pi docker soon and get back at you. ps i can recommend no ip for a dns so u can get that ssl warning out the way. if u only use 1 domain its free and needs to be renewed every 30 days

i received a small performance boost after switching to nginx (aka living hell if u dont know nginx lol)

it wasnt stable around 20 but i see it reaching 19MB/s a often

and directly daving in with winscp

note that i hadnt yet configured php-fpm correctly

Thanks :slight_smile: I’m using https://freedns.afraid.org/

Beside the awful Website, it has more features :slight_smile:

so after switching back to apache2 again (for me easier to use) i went on and tried to enbale php7.4-fpm for apache2 as well. after a short guide and some restarts later im getting the same speed as with nginx . around 18MB/s wich is quite a good improvement

1 Like

Cool, you nearly doubled the upload speed. The more you want, the harder it gets.

I think if i want to get to my actual network speed if have to run it on something stronger than the pi

Well, perhaps there is a bit of potential, if you have RAM left you could put certain things on RAMdisk. But even with a better machine, you never get the same speed like with SFTP or similar. Like 50% is what you can achieve with proper caching and a “normal” setup.
Perhaps a nice idea for some kind of competition, what upload/download rate can you achieve with a RPi4 in a local network (1 Gbit/s).

I had this problem on a Owncloud installation and I’m trying to migrate to Nextcloud. Using apache2 didn’t solve the problem

Use apache with pfp-fpm