SimpleMind blocked nextcloud

SimpleMind mindmapping app on android has blocked access to nextcloud within its app because “nextcloud is using outdated components”. Anybody know anything about this?

Unfortunately you didn’t provide any valuable information about your server environment so that this cannot be answered from a Nextcloud perspective. Therefore I would recommend to ask the SimpleMind app developers for more detailed information first, before finding an answer here?

I have no server environment I use a third party app that has started blocking nextcloud because “nextcloud is using older android components” does anyone know anything about this?

Jonathan

Nextcloud ALWAYS need to run on a server, so if you don’t have one, you’re most likely in the wrong forum :wink:

1 Like

We need more information. What Nextcloud instance are you connecting to? Are you running your own Nextcloud instance? Does it use encryption? (If not, that could be the problem.) What Android version are you running? (Older Android versions can’t connect to newer server setups.)

Take a look at the forum template. It prompts you with questions because those are the sort of questions we need answered! If you don’t understand the questions or think none apply to you, then you should probably contact your Nextcloud provider.

EDIT: To clarify, this forum is predominantly for people installing, configuring, maintaining, administering, or using a Nextcloud server instance. It’s not really aimed at end users of third party services.

The “client” tag is mostly for issues or advice regarding the official Nextcloud client (e.g. Windows desktop or Android client). It’s not really for third party clients, not unless you can tell us a lot more information about the situation! We’ll help where we can, but you didn’t give us much to go on.

If you look at the release notes for SimpleMind on Android at https://simplemind.eu/support/new-features/android/ you see the following statement:

Nextcloud removed . Unfortunately, Nextcloud is using older Android components and we are no longer able to release with Nextcloud included. Nextcloud is working on upgrading the android library, once they’ll have fixed it, we’ll be able to add Nextcloud again.

I keep all my content in a NextCloud instance provided by ocloud.de so I can no longer connect to it from the SimpleMind Android App or any NextCloud instance for that matter.

I’ve asked SimpleMind for more information but am waiting a reply.

I sent an an email to android@nextcloud.com with the question over this “Older Android Component” use but it just bounced back saying “Due to the high amount of mails we receive, please visit our forum (https://help.nextcloud.com/c/clients/android) for help”

SimpleMind replied with:

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, Nextcloud is using older Android components and we are no longer able to release with Nextcloud included (because of Google Play regulations). Nextcloud is working on upgrading the android library, once they’ll have fixed it, we’ll be able to add Nextcloud again.

Best regards,

Linda Meddeler

SimpleApps"

Can you please asked them for a more detailed answer and the version number they are referring to. Without a version numberof the android library in question it is nearly impossible to evaluate further.

The current non beta version of the Nextcloud android library

com.github.nextcloud:android-library:-SNAPSHOT

still uses the org.apache.httpcomponents - deprecated since ANdroid 6 -

which we could no longer combine with the Google Drive and Dropbox

libraries in the latest Android Studio updates.

We were able to work around version conflicts a long time, but now simply could

not get it building anymore.

Nextcloud are working on moving towards the new http connection

Once that’s done we shoudl be able to build with Nextcloud included again

Gerrit Beuze

SimpleApps

@tobiasKaminsky Are you aware of this problem?

Never heard of this before.
And I not fully understand what it is about. Is it about a Nextcloud integration, which they now removed?

@tobiasKaminsky That’s how I understood the problem. Could the problem be that they’re trying to use the legacy library v1 instead of v2, which now relies on “OkHTTP” instead of “commons-httpclient”?

@bigfatfrog67 Would it be possible that you point the SimpleMind developers to this thread so that they can directly interact with @tobiasKaminsky to clarify this question.

v2 is not yet fully migrated, so until we are 100% done, it still needs the old component, which they cannot use.

When do you, roughly, think v2 will be fully migrated?

More clear when this old component is to be replaced? Indication?

Does anybody know it this has been resolved in newer versions of both nextcloud and simplemind?
I played a bit around and the direct “copy to cloud” from SimpleMind on Android results in an “error when copying mind map to external directory”. Likewise trying to open from nextcloud, previously configured as external directory in SimpleMind results in a “no map selected” message.
The only way to exchange files between the android and the desktop versions of SimpleMind through nextcloud seems to be to “share” the mind map with nextcloud on android (upload) and to import the mind map from nextcloud in SimpleMind.