Show full path in Webinterface (Breadcrumbs)

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 16.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): Ubuntu 16.04.6
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)
PHP version (eg, 7.1): PHP 7.2.19-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+1

The issue you are facing:

is it possible to enable the full view of the path to an directory? if i go to level 1, clicking into one folder on the root directory, the path (breadcrumbs) are shorten with “…”. Is there a way to disable that and always show the full path?

In Screenshot attached you see the problem.

i have the structure: “/Documents/Rechnungen” if i click into “Rechnungen” folder, the “Documents” is shorten by “…”.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. open an directory in webinterface
  2. look at path breadcrumbs
2 Likes

Did you ever find a way of doing this? Hiding the breadcrumbs are fairly useless.

1 Like

That makes no sense.

But you can rename

folder
subfolder

to

folder
folder - subfolder

?? So you’re saying reorganize one’s entire directory structure down to one level with a bunch of dashes to make it easier to see in the web interface? And that makes more sense to you?

This seems like a perfectly reasonable request as most other software that uses breadcrumbs like this will show two or three levels deep before giving up and resorting to ellipsis.

In fact when I try it on mine, there seems to be no consistency as to when it decides to abbreviate or not. AKA some directories with 12 characters will show fully while some directories with 5 or 6 characters will get ellipsised and some won’t. So even if I were to collapse my entire directory structure down to one level, there’s STILL no guarantee that it would show up in the breadcrumbs.

I think it’s not possible as of right now and would probably need to be reported as a feature request on GitHub.

While writing the above, it popped to my mind; Since Nextcloud supports custom javascript, maybe it’s possible to do something with that option but I haven’t looked into that in detail.

@peeet
Sorry. I thought you have got another problem and for your problem my idea was stupid.