Set default base apps storage location per app

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 27.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): docker nextcloud/nextcloud:27.0.1

The issue you are facing:
My main goal is to keep my individual user storage location organized.
Most apps by default seem to dump data directly to the root of your individual user storage location but give you an option to set a sub folder in the individual apps settings menu. I wanted to see if there was some mechanism or option I’m overlooking to set the default location for apps to use. all of my different variations on searches for this topic usually only bring up the entire apps storage location, which i dont need to move those, just their own “working” storage or whatever its referred to as.

I just want to be able to have organization for the different apps and where they are working out of since the sync location is on my actual laptop I dont want a bunch of unrelated files going into the root of my storage location as my goal is to keep things organized. for my own user how i have been managing this is I have a Nextcloud folder in my root and different folders there for the different apps, so every time I install a new app I have to remember to go into the app and set the location each time for new apps.

if this currently isnt an option i’d love to have some way to specify the default sub folder to store the different apps and then maybe have how the apps interact below that be some sort of template. like have a setting for defaultAppsRoot set in the config.php to /Nextcloud and then take a template which could be the app name like /Nextcloud/{appName} so then each app would store things in their own folder. or if users didnt like a nextcloud folder in their root storage and just wanted each app in their root storage they could set defaultAppsRoot in the config.php to /{appName} and then they would have folders for each app in their root storage. This would also make it much easier for less technically inclined users to understand where data is coming from with different apps.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): No, no error, question on functionality

Steps to replicate it:

1. Start with new user(user A) with talk installed
  2. with another user(user B), message user A through talk and send a voice message
  3. the voice message will send to user A and get dumped into their base root for files storage
  4. User A can go into the talk app settings and set an attachments folder location and defaults to whatever is in the config.php for defaultAppsRoot, but then can also override that in the individual apps settings
  5. User A sets attachment folder in talk settings to /Nextcloud/Talk/Attachments
  6. User B sends new voice message and audio gets dumped into /Nextcloud/Talk/Attachments
1 Like