"Server not available" message

I have a problem with the Android app. When I open it, I get the message “Server not available”. What could be the reason for this?

The Web Access over https works fine.

NC version 27.0.1.2
App version 3.26.0

Hi,

I have the same issue.
After the the Android app upgraded to 3.26.0 I receive the same error - “Server not available”

Reinstalling does not help. I tried downgrading to 3.25 from the apk in GitHub and that worked as expected.

2 Likes

Thank you for the helpful answer.

It works again.

Thank you very much

1 Like

I have this issue, but only with one specific folder!

I wonder if there is anyway of resolving the issue other than downgrading to 3.25!

Update: there are two issues over on GitHub about this:

Seems it is basically a regression. Hopefully a fix gets released soon…

This thread is 2 month old, but I notice the same bug.
When using Nextcloud Client 3.26.0 on Android 13, there is 1 folder that does not display its content. I see a message “Server not Available” (in dutch).
When I downgrade to 3.25 (with F-Droid) all folders are visable ad reachable.
So this is a 3.26 client issue.

1 Like

There are multiple possible culprits that can result in “Server not available”. The only way to really isolate what is causing it in your individual situation would be to look at a mixture of the server-side logs and Android app logs[1]. The first linked issue above is due to the new/old metadata API. It’s likely fixed in v3.27.0. The second issue is unclear as logs are needed.

[1] GitHub - nextcloud/android at stable-3.26.0

app 3.27 still the same issue . I downgraded to 3.24.2 and everything back to normal

I see most of my folders but not my “contact photos” folder. It contains many (small) profile pics: JPG, PNG and WEBP mostly. Fir that folder, I also get “Server not available”. App: 3.27.0 (Play Store) on GrapheneOS on Pixel 6a. Server: 28.0.3rc1.

I did not see this until the last upgrade to 3.28.0
I removed the app, downloaded versions 3.24, 3.25, 3.26 and 3.27.
I installed version 3.25 on :

• old tablet ( Android 10 kernel 3.18.124-21708663 # 1 Mon Jul 25 18:45:06 KST 2022)
    (Galaxy Tab A (2018, 10.5)
  • new phone ( Android 14 kernel 4.19.191-27949366-abA145RXXS4BxB1 # 1 Tue Feb 6 15:47:58 KST 2024 )
    ( Galaxy A14 )

And that seems fine. I disabled automatic updates for this specific app in the play store because otherwise I receive the upgrade to the last version and have the issue back.
Now just for testing I ran the 3.26.0 RC1 apk to update to 3.26 and will see what happens. For now it seems ok. I will get back here when I run into issues the next month with 3.26
When I do not run into issues I will upgrade to 3.27 and let that run for a month or so.
In the meantime I hope that someone finds the real issue and that it is solved in the next version.

1 Like

Ditto with the problem on:
Samsung Galaxy 21 FE
Android 14

I’d like to roll back to 3.25. However, that’s not possible on Google Play store. Is there some “previously loved versions” site on Nextcloud.com that doesn’t just point me to the Play store? Or is there some other credible apk download site?

OK. Hi All. I made this account just to make this post.

I had exactly this issue where in random folders I would get the error “Server not found”.

Looking in those folders the consistent fact was that they all contained *.svg files.

If I removed the files then the android app would work. And I could enter the folder and there were no errors.

If I put the *.svg file back then the error would return.

Now if I renamed the file to *.svg.tmp then everything would work.

Therefore, I think the problem is to do with the android app trying to make a thumbnail OR in some way “interpret” the file.

I don’t know if this will help anyone else and am not tech-savvy enough to diagnose this more, but I hope someone with more powerful Kung Fu can discover what is going on.

Hi all,

i’m observing same thing. With app v3.28.0 i get “server not found” with some files. if one “faulty” file is in the directory, whole directory shows up empty and error message is displayed. v3.26.0 not having this issue.

The new thing for this thread is, i observed this when uploading DJI drone pictures. After playing around i removed all GPS metadata as this seemed the only difference to other files i have in my folders.

i used

exiftool -gps:all= DJI-file.jpg

and then uploaded again. Works now. Must be a bug in reading Metadata.

Sounds like https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/12379

I am not sure if you already found this…

1. Go to GitHub - nextcloud/android: 📱 Nextcloud Android app and find the “Releases” option on the right side of the page.
  2. Every release has an option “Assets” from where you can download a nextcloud…apk. Download any version(s) you want to try.
  3. Uninstall the current nextcloud app on your phone.
  4. Use and app on your phone like"My Files" to browse to the location where the apk files are downloaded.
  5. Install the oldest you want to start with.

And now an important trick to avoid that your old version will be overwritten by the last version from the play store…

1. Open the play store on your phone.
  2. click on the button in the top right corner and from the menu select the first option “Apps and device management” ( not sure if this is the option but in Dutch it is “Apps en apparaat beheer”.
  3. On the top see the options Overview and Management and choose Management.
  4. Find Nextcloud and click on the Nextcloud icon
  5. in the top right corner click on the 3 dots and clear the checkbox.

Now in the future when there are updates for some apps and you agree to update all you will get a question if you also want to update Nextcloud or skip it.

Now suppose you have version 3.25 installed and want to upgrade you can download and run the apk for 3.26. You can never downgrade. When you want to downgrade you need to uninstall, install the older version you want and maybe check the play store again to block the automatic upgrade.

In the meantime I am still at 3.26 without issues.