I already filed an issue on github because I thought this might be an actual bug but my server has just gone down from any external access and I wanted to check and see what might be the cause. Here’s the original github issue for all the details that have been hidden below: https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/12343
Steps to reproduce
I’m not really sure. Server was having some trouble yesterday, (issue can be found [here]. This appears to be a separate issue though. It could be caused by the same thing, namely the fact that I just set up my phone to instant upload via web dav to my server.
To be available. Usable etc.
Not available. Unable to access server from external addresses. Can only access it from localhost.
Server configuration detail
Operating system: Linux 4.15.0-38-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 10 10:59:38 UTC 2018 x86_64
Webserver: nginx/1.14.0 (fpm-fcgi)
Database: mysql 10.1.34
Modules loaded: Core, date, libxml, openssl, pcre, zlib, filter, hash, Reflection, SPL, sodium, session, standard, cgi-fcgi, mysqlnd, PDO, xml, apcu, bz2, calendar, ctype, curl, dom, mbstring, fileinfo, ftp, gd, gettext, iconv, igbinary, imagick, intl, json, exif, mysqli, pdo_mysql, apc, posix, readline, redis, shmop, SimpleXML, smbclient, sockets, sysvmsg, sysvsem, sysvshm, tokenizer, wddx, xmlreader, xmlwriter, xsl, zip, Phar, libsmbclient, Zend OPcache
Nextcloud version: 14.0.3 - 22.214.171.124
Updated from an older Nextcloud/ownCloud or fresh install: updated from 13
Where did you install Nextcloud from: official source
Signing statusList of activated appsConfiguration (config/config.php)
Are you using external storage, if yes which one: local/smb/sftp/…
Are you using encryption: false
Are you using an external user-backend, if yes which one: LDAP/ActiveDirectory/Webdav/…
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0
Operating system: Windows 10, Mac, and Ubuntu 18.04
Browser logNextcloud logBrowser log
I initiated a rescan of the server and it’s been stuck on the first user for like 30 minutes which seems long to me.
EDIT2: Scan finished but no change in the logs or in the accessibility of my server from outside the localhost. I have turned off my phone’s folder sync jobs in case that was part of the cause.