Security: Is it safe to connect to Nextcloud 'naked' (that is, without VPN) on public Wi-Fi?

• Connecting to a listed Nextcloud provider.
  • Or connecting to your own instance.

Letā€™s say the only service I want to use over public Wi-Fi logged in is Nextcloud. Otherwise Iā€™m just reading news sites and I donā€™t care whether anyone is watching me doing so. Do I need a VPN? All in all, Iā€™m not sure: https://defensivecomputingchecklist.com/#publicwifi

1 Like

Activate two-factor authentication on your Nextcloud instance and make sure it has a proper SSL certā€¦

No-one can guarantee safety, of course, with anything that involves on online connection. Personally Iā€™d recommend the added security of a good VPN, particularly for public access points. I think itā€™s far more more probable that a bug in the Nextcloud stack, or a misconfiguration, would expose you to an attack. Iā€™d have a lot more confidence in an openVPN connection not being compromised, and at the very least, itā€™s an extra barrier for an attacker to deal with.

However as long as the connection is done via modern https, I would call this secure as well. Depends on how sensitive the data is in the end. A VPN is a second layer of course. I would recommend WireGuard over OpenVPN nowadays.

1 Like

AFAIK, Wireguard hasnā€™t hit 1.0 yet, and still is not officially recommended for production use. Iā€™d like to see it audited and mature for a while before switching. Once itā€™s proven dependable, it certainly has many advantages, not the least the far smaller codebase, which is a big plus for security.

I know of these restrictions, but run Wireguard on my private VPN 2 month now. It is rock solid and really easy to install.

Sure, thereā€™s a lot of folks out there making use of it. Iā€™m just saying that while it may be stable in terms of performance, we donā€™t yet have much basis to know quite how solid it is in terms of security.

1 Like

That will be resolved very shortly, matter of monthsā€¦Linus Torvalds pulled WireGuard VPN into the 5.6 kernel source tree | Ars Technica
It wonā€™t make it into 20.04 LTS, but should be backported shortly after.

Next Linux 5.6 also has native WireGuard, next Debian etc etc. Sure for professional use I would also wait for official stable release but for private use IMO the much easier configuration allows especially less experienced users to setup a secure VPN easily, compared to OpenVPN where one always needs to take care proper configuration.

Howā€™s that going to change matters? Wireguard is a new VPN option, an effective one, but itā€™s still a VPN?
By the way, you can use Wireguard already today, I run it on my Pihole.

Howā€™s that going to change matters?

How solid a product is in terms of security (Wireguard in this case) is mostly a perception issue.
Wireguard has proven to be useful - and much more efficient - for years.

And the perception will change the moment Linus blesses it to be in the kernelā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d say itā€™s a bit more than a perception issue. With OpenVPN, itā€™s mature, widely deployed in production, and has had a proper security audit.

With Wireguard, itā€™s still not quite at version 1.0, has no audit, and their official position still says this:

Some parts of WireGuard are working toward a stable 1.0 release, while others are already there. Current snapshots are generally versioned ā€œ0.0.YYYYMMDDā€ or ā€œ0.0.Vā€, but these should not be considered real releases and they may contain security quirks

So, if security is the concern, thereā€™s a pretty decent basis to say that sticking to OpenVPN for the time being is probably wise.

Strictly speaking, you are right, of course. But this should count for something

ā€¦compared to the horrors that are OpenVPN and IPSec, itā€™s a work of art.
ā€¦Linus

Iā€™m running it on my router (DD-WRT firmware) for over a year.
Just the convenience factor makes you wonder why this hasnā€™t happened years agoā€¦

Wireguard might not have had a proper audit.
But OpenVPN by now canā€™t be properly audited due its sheer size and ā€œhoardingā€ mentalityā€¦

Linux 5.6 with Wireguard 1.0 has been signed off by Linusā€¦

TLS/SSL and VPN uses same or different encryption. Both can be a security problem.
Do not use TCP/IP ā€¦ use IPoAC

Ubuntu 20.04LTS released, WireGuard already there

Will also be backported to 18.04LTSā€¦(!)