Scaling vs Federation?

Hello, I have a Nextcloud VM, one of the ready appliances from Tech and Me with the 20 GB limitation on storage.
Iā€™ve been learning about Docker and thought a good learning project might be to run a second server that I could sync with my first VM.
The impression Iā€™ve gotten on federation is that it works at a single user level. Am I correct on this?
To scale at the server level and just have everything automatically mirrored, is there an easy way to do this or is that more of an enterprise setup where I would need a load balancer, and would need to start separating out my compute,storage, and database?

Thanks

Yes, you are right, the federated sharing is to allow users to share content between different Nextcloud setups. It can be used for scaling in a way that each sub-unit get their own smaller Nextcloud setup and due to federated sharing, itā€™s still possible to share to everybody in the organisation.

There were some announcements about a year ago, to make a setup globally available, but there havenā€™t been many information about this recently. There are setups with load balancers and stuff for business users, but I havenā€™t seen an easy setup for home users to mirror servers, or use a local setup as cache, ā€¦

If you are close to Berlin, there is a conference this weekend, perhaps there are a few talks and certainly enough people to talk about this and other topics around Nextcloud.

Thank you for replying. Berlin is a bit far for me. If you go to the conference, I hope you have a great time.
Hereā€™s another question about sharing.
Do I get to choose between having redundant data copies on my servers or sharing a single copy of data from a single host?
This isnā€™t an enterprise and Iā€™m still learning Nextcloud. Iā€™d like to be able to have redundant servers and data copies in different locations in case of server or storage failure in one location.
Iā€™d imagine there would be a demand for home users and beginners to have an easy way to set that up.
Thanks

You have these data on the sync client. Problem about sync solutions like Nextcloud, if the file gets corrupt on one system, there is a chance that this failure will be synced to all other clients. What you want is a suitable backup solution.

Some time ago, I had a look at git-annex, which is a nice solution to distribute copies of your data on several storages (online, usb-sticks, ā€¦) where you can also define on how many locations you want to keep a copy. At some point it will also sync but it could be a nice thing to keep several copies of unique data.

Regarding Nextcloud, you can use different backup solutions. I recommend to keep a full copy somewhere you can quickly access (for quick restore after a complete system failure), and a copy at a different location. Also nice to keep different versions, rsnapshot or similar tools are really powerful.