Sadly this app is no longer maintained

Yes but both of these apps are not in the “Featured” category, and I’d guess it’s mainly small businesse and home users that use them, that don’t pay for an Enterprise subscription, otherwise that feature would probably be integrated to the core. :wink:

And also nice was the app Sharing Path (Nextcloud 15-24).

I think renaming shares is a really great feature for publicly sharing content with readable URLs. From the point of view of some companies, it is of course also a security risk. Nevertheless, it would be a great standard app from Nextcloud. Only selected groups could be authorized to use the app.

But I think the discussion is leading away from the topic. There are countless apps that no longer exist

Yes, but removing them from the store wouldn’t bring them back to existence, would it? :wink:

But I get where you’re coming from, and I tend to agree that apps that are abandoned for long time should probably be removed at some point, or maybe they could label them as “Archived”.

However, we also have to keep in mind that Enterprise customers still get support for versions older than 26, which means that they can still use the apps that are only compatible with earlier NC versions.

1 Like

Regarding the App Store:

Perhaps some people don’t realize this, but the App Store itself is publicly maintained, AGPL licensed, and has its own repository on GitHub.

Anyone is welcome to formally propose, vote on, comment on, or submit PRs to it for any of the functionality discussed in this thread.

(I realize there are some broader themes also being noted/discussed here, but some of these desires or preferences can also be pushed forward in a less theoretical manner by proposing it there, giving your vote or input there on existing related open issues, lobbying here in the forum and elsewhere to get others to do the same, helping hash out the details/design of an actual change rather than just the theoretical aspects, or making an attempt at implementing it if you have the skills/time/motivation. Though I’m not trying to imply there is anything wrong with discussing things on the forum too).

An aside:

I’m a community member and a project member on GitHub, but not employed by Nextcloud GmbH (though I’m considering exploring that path…). I’m also not affiliated with any paying customer/client. Yet I’ve found no “secondary status treatment” from the core dev team (i.e. founding team and/or Nextcloud GmbH employed folks) to the various PRs I’ve submitted across the project’s numerous repositories (or any of the other ways I’ve chosen to contribute or involve myself).

I think some people don’t realize how this project operates: Yes, there’s the pull from enterprise clients that fund many of the ongoing developer’s salaries (and also pay for the resources many of us community members rely upon). But the project’s code repositories are quite organic, transparent, and merit-driven. Those that show up and do the work are the ones that influence the project (BTW: that includes the numerous non-developers that take time out of their day to report bugs and suggest enhancements and certainly also includes those that help support community members or contribute to discussions here in the forum).

Nextcloud is a real open source project unlike some “open source” projects that toss that term around. It is entirely licensed under the AGPL (or similar, in certain cases). There is no “community edition” versus “enterprise edition” in terms of code availability. There are no apps or features only available to those that pay up. Developers do not give up their copyright when they contribute.

The project has its quirks, flaws, weaknesses, and annoyances. There have been mistakes made in the past (and there will be more made in the future no doubt). But it’s also an amazing gift that this project came together, has gotten this far, is used and relied upon by many people and organizations, continues to exist (and evolve), and has a passionate community built around it.

But no one involved in this project - or any open source to my knowledge - is a superhero. They can’t solve everything or make everyone happy. But anyone that steps up has the opportunity to influence things. It may take a few rounds or iterations, but there are a lot of ways to nudge things along.

It’s also not for everyone. That’s fine too.

5 Likes

Thanks to all who contribute to this very useful instrument. I use it for the internal communication in my church (together with WhatsApp, and some other channels). We have good use of the basic functions.

3 Likes

As I just answered to one of your other “answers” on another thread I stumbled across this sentence of yours and like to turn it around a bit:

What ARE you doing here?

I mean apart from telling eveyone here on the forum how much of a sucker NC and everything around is?

Apparently you seem to be deeply depressed over NC.
The good thing is: now everyone seems to know about your problems with NC. And if someone’s left to not knowing you’ll do your best to let them know.
Perfect. That’s the right approach… Hit on things that don’t meet your needs. Just keep on hitting… I’m sure that won’t get you any further.

Again… what about getting into the project and being productive?

If you’d complain about missing time doing so - well why not stopping to write more rants about how much NC sucks? Stopping this would allow you spending hours and hours of being a successful part of some project.
Plus it would make you feel good. Promised.

3 Likes