S3 primary storage - signature issues

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 19.0.1snap2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Fedora 32

The issue you are facing:

I have configured Nextcloud to use S3 as its primary storage, and activated server-side encryption. This seemed to work fine - I uploaded a number of images, created a couple user accounts, everything was working.

Then I used the desktop sync client (running on another Fedora machine) to upload ~35000 document files, about 25GB of content. This also worked correctly, no problems.

The problem came up when I tried to access a few PDF documents through the web interface after the upload. When I clicked a PDF file, the PDF viewer came up and showed its progress bar at the top. The progress bar ran part of the way - sometimes 40% or so, sometimes more like 80% - and then nothing more happened. I waited a long time, nothing.

I tried several different files and also uploaded extra ones manually. After a while I found that I can mostly access a given file correctly on the second attempt. Sometimes it takes three or four attempts - but eventually the file loads in the previewer.

I checked nextcloud.log and I found something interesting: there are loads of messages with the error “Bad Signature”. The messages look like this (just a part - the trace is very long - also, I redacted bits in a few places - see output from Admin/Logging below):

{
  "reqId":"8E6IeVlTxZJP53z85IIW",
  "level":3,
  "time":"2020-08-05T18:27:40+00:00",
  "remoteAddr":"***",
  "user": "***",
  "app":"no app in context",
  "method":"GET",
  "url":"/remote.php/webdav/documents/somedocument.pdf",
  "message": {
    "Exception":"OCP\\Encryption\\Exceptions\\GenericEncryptionExce
ption",
    "Message":"Bad Signature",
    "Code":0,
    "Trace":[{
      "file":"/snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/encryption/lib/Crypt
o/Crypt.php",
      "line":463,
      "function":"checkSignature",
      "class":"OCA\\Encryption\\Crypto\\Crypt",
      "type":"->",
      "args": ...

I tried to tail the log to see exactly which messages referred to which requests - this is a bit harder than it should be because apparently the log is not flushed after each message. However, I am quite sure that the Bad Signature errors appear even when the PDF file is displayed correctly in the browser.

One final thing I did: I downloaded one of the objects from the S3 storage, and I could clearly tell that it was an encrypted file (there’s an “OC …” header, readable in text format). I just did this to be sure that the encryption was taking place as intended.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

This is one of the messages I described above:

[no app in context] Error: OCP\Encryption\Exceptions\GenericEncryptionException: Bad Signature at <<closure>>

0. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/encryption/lib/Crypto/Crypt.php line 463
    OCA\Encryption\Crypto\Crypt->checkSignature("mMLhve4x7rLFlpt ... A", null, "be897356d39cc8b ... 1")
 1. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/encryption/lib/Crypto/Encryption.php line 375
    OCA\Encryption\Crypto\Crypt->symmetricDecryptFileContent("*** sensitive parameter replaced ***", null, "AES-256-CTR", 1, "*** sensitive parameter replaced ***")
 2. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Encryption.php line 585
    OCA\Encryption\Crypto\Encryption->decrypt("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 3. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Encryption.php line 505
    OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Encryption->fixUnencryptedSize("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 4. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Encryption.php line 166
    OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Encryption->verifyUnencryptedSize("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 5. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Encryption.php line 409
    OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Encryption->filesize("*** sensitive parameter replaced ***")
 6. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php line 300
    OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Encryption->fopen("*** sensitive parameter replaced ***", "r")
 7. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/lib/private/Files/View.php line 1159
    OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Wrapper->fopen("*** sensitive parameter replaced ***", "r")
 8. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/lib/private/Files/View.php line 995
    OC\Files\View->basicOperation("fopen", "/documents/2017 ... f", ["read"], "r")
 9. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/File.php line 423
    OC\Files\View->fopen("documents/somedoc ... f", "r")
10. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/CorePlugin.php line 90
    OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\File->get()
11. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php line 89
    Sabre\DAV\CorePlugin->httpGet(Sabre\HTTP\Request {}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})
12. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 474
    Sabre\DAV\Server->emit("method:GET", [Sabre\HTTP\Requ ... }])
13. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 251
    Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod(Sabre\HTTP\Request {}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})
14. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 319
    Sabre\DAV\Server->start()
15. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/dav/appinfo/v1/webdav.php line 82
    Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()
16. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/remote.php line 167
    require_once("/snap/nextcloud ... p")

GET /remote.php/webdav/documents/somedocument.pdf
from *** by *** at 2020-08-05T18:27:40+00:00

I don’t know if they are connected, but I notice a few other types of error messages in Admin/Logging (they occur many times):

[no app in context] Error: Couldn't re-calculate unencrypted size for files/documents/somedocument.pdf

GET /remote.php/webdav/documents/somedocuments.pdf
from *** by *** at 2020-08-05T18:27:40+00:00
[PHP] Error: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/http/lib/Sapi.php:112) at /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/http/lib/Sapi.php#70

GET /remote.php/webdav/documents/somedocument.pdf
from *** by *** at 2020-08-05T18:25:59+00:00
[webdav] Fatal: Sabre\DAV\Exception: An exception occurred while completing a multipart upload: Error executing "CompleteMultipartUpload" on "https://***.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/urn***?uploadId=***"; AWS HTTP error: Client error: `POST https://***.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/urn***?uploadId=***` resulted in a `400 Bad Request` response:
<Error><Code>MalformedXML</Code><Message>The XML you provided was not well-formed or did not validate against our publis (truncated...)
 MalformedXML (client): The XML you provided was not well-formed or did not validate against our published schema - <Error><Code>MalformedXML</Code><Message>The XML you provided was not well-formed or did not validate against our published schema</Message><RequestId>0410727350B5CD69</RequestId><HostId>***</HostId></Error> at <<closure>>

0. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/File.php line 252
    OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\File->convertToSabreException(Aws\S3\Exception ... {})
 1. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Directory.php line 154
    OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\File->put(null)
 2. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/dav/lib/Upload/UploadFolder.php line 46
    OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Directory->createFile("00000014", null)
 3. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 1104
    OCA\DAV\Upload\UploadFolder->createFile("00000014", null)
 4. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/CorePlugin.php line 527
    Sabre\DAV\Server->createFile("uploads/***/3015040066/00000014", null, null)
 5. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php line 89
    Sabre\DAV\CorePlugin->httpPut(Sabre\HTTP\Request {}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})
 6. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 474
    Sabre\DAV\Server->emit("method:PUT", [Sabre\HTTP\Requ ... }])
 7. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 251
    Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod(Sabre\HTTP\Request {}, Sabre\HTTP\Response {})
 8. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php line 319
    Sabre\DAV\Server->start()
 9. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/dav/lib/Server.php line 320
    Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()
10. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php line 35
    OCA\DAV\Server->exec()
11. /snap/nextcloud/22400/htdocs/remote.php line 167
    require_once("/snap/nextcloud ... p")

PUT /remote.php/dav/uploads/***/3015040066/00000014
from *** by *** at 2020-08-05T17:34:27+00:00

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'apps_paths' => 
  array (
    0 => 
    array (
      'path' => '/snap/nextcloud/current/htdocs/apps',
      'url' => '/apps',
      'writable' => false,
    ),
    1 => 
    array (
      'path' => '/var/snap/nextcloud/current/nextcloud/extra-apps',
      'url' => '/extra-apps',
      'writable' => true,
    ),
  ),
  'supportedDatabases' => 
  array (
    0 => 'mysql',
  ),
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' => 
  array (
    'host' => '/tmp/sockets/redis.sock',
    'port' => 0,
  ),
  'objectstore' => 
  array (
    'class' => '\\OC\\Files\\ObjectStore\\S3',
    'arguments' => 
    array (
      'bucket' => '***',
      'region' => 'eu-west-2',
      'autocreate' => false,
      'key' => '***',
      'secret' => '***',
      'use_ssl' => true,
    ),
  ),
  'passwordsalt' => '***',
  'secret' => '***',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'localhost',
    1 => '***',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/snap/nextcloud/common/nextcloud/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '19.0.1.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://localhost',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost:/tmp/sockets/mysql.sock',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbpassword' => '***',
  'installed' => true,
  'instanceid' => 'oc939xnfnvvp',
  'twofactor_enforced' => 'true',
  'twofactor_enforced_groups' => 
  array (
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced_excluded_groups' => 
  array (
  ),
);

Do you have a solution? We are using the same S3 bucket and getting bad signature with files encrypted and there are no encryption keys.