Rights at root folder level

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slight_frown:

If you’re urgently looking for support to keep your business running, consider checking out our paid support options.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the following as you can (you can cut and paste this into your topic):

Nextcloud version: 11.0.2
Operating system and version: OpenSuse 13.2
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2.4)
PHP version: 5.6.1
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: Yes

Can you reliably replicate it? (If so, please outline steps): yes
The issue you are facing:

I would like to limit users/groups ability to create folders and files at the root level of Nextcloud. This is possible at all other levels through sharing privileges (see below), but not at the root level. Is there a way to set or provide this level of access at the root level?

I assume since this has been here for the last 12 days without a reply that there is, at present, no way to provide any type of access controls at the “root” folder within NextCloud. It seems that there should be some methodology for this since it is available in every folder and sub-folder under the root.

I found a workaround of sorts for this problem, but would be interested how to incorporate it into the NextCloud cron component.

It seems if you change the linux owner of the “files” directory for a user to some other account rather than the web user in the Linux environment you can prevent users from creating files in the root folder. (e.g for OpenSuse change ownership of the “files” directory for each user you wish to restrict from wwwrun:www to some other account). This does not restrict these users from the ability to create sub-folders where a user is granted the appropriate privileges.

Any account you wish to be able to create root folders would be excluded from the change of ownership process described above.

However, this methodology only works if the above process is run on a periodic bases (e.g. every 15 minutes) as a continuous cron job to remove these linux directory privileges as users are created. Since I am looking to have this hosted and do not have a provider selected, I was wondering if there was a way to incorporate this type of script file into the NextCloud cron environment easily.

So, I take it from the lack of response here that Nextcloud is unable to provide any type of privileges at the root level. isn’t there a way to incorporate this capability File Access Control to limit what rights people have at the root directory?