Restrict file access for users / changing their quota

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version: 27.1.5.2
Operating system and version: Linux 5.15.0-101-generic #111-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 5 20:16:58 UTC 2024 x86_64
Apache or nginx version: nginx/1.25.2 (fpm-fcgi)
PHP version: 8.2.14

The issue you are facing:

Hello all,
I am using a NextCloud installment by the provider ionos and am having a hard time with user/file access control or more precise the restriction of that.

When I create a new user it has by default access to the first folder “/” and can create files and folders on that layer. Additionally, me, the admin, has no way of seeing those files or folders created by that user in my GUI (or do I?).

I am building a NextCloud solution for our company, so I want to deny my Users access to the first folder and then give them rights to work in folders created by me (e.g. /cloud/teams/ etc).

As I understand, one way of doing that would be to restrict the user’s quota to 0KB, then sharing my folders with them.

Problem with his workaround is: When I change a users quota in the user settings and reload the GUI, it just springs back to the maximum possible quota to have. Also tried setting the default quota for groups - it just ignores that.

So, 2 questions to be axact:

1. Can I restrict basic access for all users to then give them access to my folders?
  2. Am I forgetting something while trying so change my user’s quota?

All the best