Request - Move Data Directory GUI Implementation/ Next Cloud Installation GUI

I may be new to Nextcloud and don’t fully understand how it all works. I’ve installed Nextcloud utilizing Ubuntu Server built-in deployment option.

I tried about 10 times to install Nextcloud manually, but kept getting multiple errors. Tried different YouTube guides. I even tried the official guide.

Now I personally do not want to rant or sound grumpy, but for Nextcloud to really say that it is user friendly by supplying a snap/vm etc solutions and not granting the flexibility to configure it the way you want. It would be nice to have a gui implementation, which installs pre-requisites. I am more familiar with windows and it would be really helpful to incorporate a solution at home without the need to spend days upon days trying to figure it out.

Since I have installed Nextcloud using ubuntu server, there is no way within the Nextcloud gui to change the data folder/database locations onto a secondary mounted drive without following some round about guide, which can become a pain to understand.

So, now onto the topic i really want to request. Can we please have a way to simplify the data directory/database creation process to allow admins such as myself to move volumes/pools/data directories to another location with more storage without having to configure small config files and breaking the instance in the process? (HowTo: Change / Move data directory after installation This forum is just not helpful at all. Too much going on and neither is https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/13/admin_manual/configuration_server/harden_server.html#place-data-directory-outside-of-the-web-root)

Apologies if this has become a rant, i love the product and I can see it has a lot of potential, but it would be nice for this to mature quite a bit more. I believe this would draw a lot more users to the base and be a fantastic alternative to other cloud storage services. Giving people the power to control their own data. Better yet, it may even draw in more developers to support this initiative more.

No idea if this is the right area to post, but i couldn’t find anywhere else. so, i’ll still continue trying to figure things out as best as I can and hopefully come to a solution.

hi,

so, you are using snap and want flexibility. The point of snap is easy quick installation. Flexibility is not part of the deal !!!

People are confuse by all those snap/docker things. They are existing to mimic the windows software installation to help people who don’t have a clue about linux, or are lazzy about playing and fine-tuning conf files to have a perfect server.

That’s fine for me, everybody can use any tools. But those tools have NO flexibility at all. And even sometimes, as you depends on a snap/docker team, you are abid to their habits/rules/conf. Flexibility, again, is out of the scope.

As you use snap/docker, the data folder, in order to be reachable from snap/docker must be inside the snap/docker space. This is a tech requirement link to the snap/docker process.

If you want to 100% be flexible, you have to drop snap/docker. Have a minimal install server (arch–debian-ubuntu-whatever). And start to install/configurate everything manually ( apache2 or nginx for web server, mysql or other for the DB, and so on )…

By the way, stuff like openmediavault, freenas, proxmod … all those “things” are flexible to a certain level witch is up to the devs of those “things”.

Bare-metal old fashion servers are flexible, but they need to cave in, learn, and manage everything yourself…

I completely disagree at least for docker - which is my favorite tool. definitely it adds complexity and things work different as they do on plain Linux system but it gives you huge flexibility to run multiple instances of the same or even different software version at same time (e.g. i have a testing Nextcloud instance where I do unsafe things like version upgrades first) this gives you stability e.g. use newer/older library or database then your native system ships yet. And there is absolutely no limit in term of fine-tuning your system - it’s easy to persist all the config files you want outside of the container and adopt for your needs! Like any other technology you have a learning curve but once you master it - it works very well.

Regarding the initial request: I don’t see any advantage of changing the way how data directory configuration works now. Especially if you do it as part of lifecycle

there are tough things to consider: how can you move data in a safe way. prevent/detect file changes while copying, clean up/or keep data in old location etc… I bet if you ask 3 admins you get different 5 suggestions how to do it right. In addition the process of moving data directory is not really common operation - why should somebody spend time to develop, test and support such function?

hosting complex software package requires some skills and

is one of this major skills you need. If you prefer to stay back - maybe managed offering you better suited for you.

I really apologize - after 9m of reading and 1 hour membership you didn’t find the answer to all your questions. feel free to look around maybe you find better forum… I get help in this forum since years, even I don’t need it often.