Read only in Windows folder redirection folder

Hi,
I am using folder redirection in Windows and I am sharing the same folders via Nextcloud as external SMB storage. The Problem is, the folders themselves are read only (Documents, Desktop, etc.). Subfolders work just fine, it’s just the root of the folder. I already found out that this is caused by those folders being DOS read only for some reason, I don’t know why windows does it, but apparently it’s normal. I can change it with the attrib command and then run “files:scan - - all” on the Nextcloud server (running Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS btw.), but after a while, some hours or maybe a day it changes back to read only. Is there some way to either make nextcloud access the folder as R/W with the read only in place (in Windows it doesn’t behave read only), or permanently make it R/W?

Thanks in advance and kind regards
Sebastian Salmhofer

Any ideas? I still didn’t find a solution.

Hi, I have the same problem.
The Nextcloud storage is on an external SMB storage.
The users can save files in their Nextcloud folder normally.
The SMB storage is connected to the Windows client as a network drive.
When I enable folder redirection for documents and pictures via group policy, the two folders are created on the network drive.
When the user in Nextcloud wants to save to either folder, it shows that they do not have write permission.
If I create a subfolder on the Windows client, its’ possible to save to this subfolder in Nextcloud.
The root folder Documents is still read-only.
Is there a solution for this?

Thanks,
Tom

I have the same problem in Nextcloud 21.
When I create a Nextcloud SMB external mount using where the root folder has Windows folder redirection enabled (\Users\username{Documents,Downloads,Pictures,etc}, they show up as read-only. Subdirectories show up as read/write.
I just checked with a mount of \Users\username and checked to see if folders with Windows folder redirection enabled (\Users\username{Documents,Downloads,Pictures,etc} exhibit the same behavior. They do. So the issue is simply that Nextcloud displays any Windows folder with folder redirection enabled as read-only.
This did not happen in older versions of Nextcloud (I previously ran 16.04) so I assume this is a regression.

Hm… Although it sounds like a regression to me, too, you might be able to overwrite the permissions by using this app: GitHub - icewind1991/permissions_overwrite: Allow overwriting external storage permissions

Linked to No permissions for just one folder in external storage · Issue #26321 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

you might be able to overwrite the permissions by using this app: GitHub - icewind1991/permissions_overwrite: Allow overwriting external storage permissions

That worked!!! This is a reasonable workaround for me.

Thanks greatly,

Bruce T

Looks like I responded before doing enough testing. The permissions_overwrite application is buggy and causes a number of other occ commands to fail.

So I do not have a workaround for this issue.

Hm… that’s unfortunate but maybe you should report those issues so that the app can become better?