[Question] Importing Thunderbird vCard-addresses to Nextcloud 11

Hello,
I am testing Nextcloud (11.0.1) and have been trying to import contacts from Thunderbird’s address book (unsuccessfully!).
The problem obviously is that Nextcloud only accepts cVard files of versions 3 and 4 while my Thunderbird only allows an export to vCard 2. I have played around with the CardBook add-on to Thunderbird - again without success. Any ideas as to how I can import my Thunderbird addresses into Nextcloud? Thanks for any hints.
Regards
H. Stoellinger (Salzburg)

Well, I have recently used CardBook as well and that work really well. What’s the problem you’re seeing?

Servus aus Salzburg, JĂĽrgen,
Ich habe unter Thunderbird (neueste Version unter Linux-Mint 18.1) das “Standard”-Adressbuch in Verwendung. Ich will die Kontakte daraus nach Nextcloud importieren. Nextcloud-Import setzt vCard-V3-oder -V4 Daten voraus, Thunderbird unterstützt beim Export aber nur V2. Ich versuchte eine Lösung durch Aktivierung des CardBook-AddOns im Thunderbird. Dort gibt es an sich eine Möglichkeit, vCard-Dateien zu importieren. Wenn ich dies aber durchführe wird offensichtlich nichts in das CardBook importiert. Wenn dies ginge ist anzunehmen, dass ich V4-vCards exportieren (und nach Nextcloud importieren) könnte. Ich könnte natürlich auch nach .csv-Dateien exportieren. So viel ich weiß, können diese aber nicht nach Nextcloud importiert werden…
H. Stoellinger

@hstoellinger please use English if you can.

Hi H.Stoellinger,

The way I’ve done it is to create an empty address book in NextCloud and add that addressbook to Thunderbird using CardBook as a new addressbook there as well. Both are empty at that time. Then I import contacts into the Thunderbiard/CardBook addressbook and those get uploaded to Nextcloud just fine.

JĂĽrgen

Hi,

or you can try (an familiar way to the CardBook-Way) to

• create an new addressbook in nextcloud or use an existing one
  • install sogo connector addon in your local thunderbird installation
  • find the dav url in nextcloud for your new / existing addressbook (choose settings --> chain-symbol) and copy the whole url)
  • add the new addressbook in thunderbird by using the url of your new nextcloud addressbook
  • move or copy (maybe by drag and drop) the contact entries to the new addressbook in nextcloud

Jörg

@tuxnet
That’s the way I sync PC <–>NC<–>Mobile … and it works fine.