Qnap Container Station Issue

Hi there,

I have recently stood up a NextCloud instance on my QNAP TS-451DeU-2G using its native container station by pulling down the nextcloud:latest image from dockerhub.

The setup process was relatively painless (once I figured correct MariaDB configuration settings) and was running flawlessly for at least 2 months, which allowed me to create a complete backup of my families phones, workstations, laptops etc… essentially 2 months were spent configuring the family device pool to sync with my new NAS and NextCloud instance… life was wonderful.

That was until the NAS seemed to crap out and required a re-start to become active again, the locally installed applications on the NAS seemed to restart without issue however the Nextcloud container, while configured to standup following a system reboot could not do so.

After some investigation it seemed that the portforwarding between the host and the container was not persisted.

This problem could only be addressed by creating a new container with the required portforwarding config… the issue here was that it initiated a new volume and a brand new instance of Nextcloud… which is not obviously what was intended.

Therefore my question is as follows, on the QNAP Container Station, how can i stand up a new container instance of NextCloud that can re-use the existing volumes (created during the previous setup ) so that I can continue to leverage the previously persisted media, backups etc that have been synced with NextCloud in its previous container incarnation?

Thanks in advance for any support, guidance, direction, wisdom bestowed :slight_smile:

Cheers,

dave

one can use common docker-compose to define applications you need, including persistent volumes. When I was playing around I choose the hard way to setup containers completely from the command line but this has had a drawback containers defined manually as docker-compose didn’t restart on reboot of the NAS. So my recommendation would be to develop the application manually and once ready to paste the docker-compose file in Container Station UI - then you can use Qnap proprietary controls to make containers auto-start.