Pulling my hair out - help! Nextcloud AIO on Synology NAS

Hello All,
First post here…I have a Synology RS3621xs+ with DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 3. I have been trying for about a month now to get Nextcloud AIO up and running, to no avail, and I admit I am about ready to give up, but I really like the idea of Nextcloud (I want to ditch Onedrive).

The issue I am having is (I think) related to a reverse proxy. Synology DSM uses port 443 for itself by default (and I don’t know how to change that - I tried), and that is (obviously) conflicting with Nextcloud. I want to publish it with domain I obtained from duckdns. I have read every thread and piece of documentation I can find, removed the volume and started from scratch (many times), and used so many different variations of the startup command and reverse proxy configurations that I don’t know where to go next.

I am not sure what logs/examples I should upload as I feel like I have tried everything. I am more than happy to upload/provide whatever might be of use.

I apologize if I come across as desperate (I am). I have tried everything I can find and am very frustrated. Please be patient with me :).

@aurbus hey and welcome to the wonderful world of nextcloud. You signed up to the community forum of NC where users try to help users ;o)

So this marks your first contribution. Congrats!

I have only one question for you right now: do you need to have your DSM/Synology Nas open to the world?
Why?
(welll as a matter of fact these are 2 questions :wink: )

Do I need to have it open? No, I can (am currently) make do without it. However, I really would like to have some sort of self-hosted cloud storage solution. Why? Well I am sick of MS/Google and their garbage. I use Onedrive because I get the student price (basically free) and I need some sort of cloud storage solution.

If there is something that is easier to setup than Nextcloud I would happily use it, but the only other solution that seems comparable is Owncloud, which seems to be very similar to Nextcloud.

I very comfortable with computers (I daily drive Debian testing), but I have not really worked with anything relating to (web) servers.

So IF you want to have your Synology open to the world and keeping it open plus running a Nextcloud installation on the same hardware there’s no help than installing a reverse proxy as well… this proxy is able to “share” ports… meaning the proxy “knows” how to handle requests to part 443 (e.g.)
like if there’s a request to dsm:443 your proxy will know and send this request to exactly that: dsm:443.
and likewise with a request to nextcloud:443

on the other hand: if you decide to “close” your synology and just nextcloud do the neccessary communication with the world you could dedicate ports 80 and 443 to your nextcloud-installation.

So it’s up to you to decide how to proceed. as a first step.

For me it’s clear (running a NC AiO on a Synology as well): I don’t want and don’t need DSM to be open to the world. I only want NC doing that.

And there are installing guides for AiO on DSM. First and foremost it’s a part of the official AiO-installation guide itself.
Because I don’t like DSM-OS too much I decided to run it on a ubuntu-VM where I run AIO in a docker. It works like a charm for me. (I didn’t use official AiO-VM, though)

Apologies for the delay (I am away until the 12th)…

I want to have NC open to the outside world, DSM does not need to be open to the world, but it does need to be accessible to the local network. I might be misunderstanding what is the correct way to go about this, but I have tried 2 ways - opening ports 80 and 443 in DSM, and using a reverse proxy (as you mentioned).

I have been using the official AIO Docker image, and following the official installation guide (on the AIO Github).

What I wanted to do initially was to just dedicate ports 80 and 443 to NC (as you mentioned). The issue I ran into is that DSM uses both of these ports. I managed to reassign port 80 to 81, but ran into issues with 443 and I was not able to reassign it. I think it has something to do with the nginx proxy built into DSM, and I did not want to break access to the DSM interface on the LAN, so I decided to try a reverse proxy.
With the reverse proxy, I set up the reverse proxy built into DSM (in the settings) according to the reverse proxy documentation. When I do that and go through the NC setup, at the domain validation, it tells me that port 443 is not accessible. I played around with the configuration and tried it a couple different ways, but always had some error related to port 443.

I am guessing here, but maybe you need to add to your script:
–env APACHE_PORT=11000
–env APACHE_IP_BINDING=0.0.0.0

…or if you use the compose file, uncheck the same commands (see the comments in the link, it is required to uncheck when using reverse proxy);
https://github.com/nextcloud/all-in-one/blob/main/compose.yaml .

I intend to try next week, and if I figure it out, I will add a dummy guide here since the official documentation for the AIO on Synology DMS is clearly insufficient.

I have tried with and without both of those options, and I have also played around with them a fair bit, including using

–env APACHE_IP_BINDING=127.0.0.0

as well as ports other than 11000, in addition to changing the revers proxy settings. I will try it again when I get back (on the 12th).