Problems with encryption in 11.1

Debian Jesse
Nextcloud 11.1

I enabled the encryption in the admin settings, loaded the app, logout/login a new user, but now I get an error every minute in the logging section of the control panel:

Encryption module "" not found, file will be stored unencrypted (Default encryption module not loaded)

• I have confirmed the app is enabled in the Apps section.
  • I have confirmed files are being encrypted (made a text file in the NC browser, tried to view it via command line)

Ideas where to troubleshoot?

Update: Here is the full output from the nextcloud.log file:

{"reqId":"zBCt8E8UszYWNkynMgWY","remoteAddr":"X.X.X.X","app":"no app in context",
"message": "Encryption module \"\" not found, file will be stored unencrypted (Default 
encryption module not loaded)","level":2,"time":"2017-02-11T19:40:14+00:00","method"
:"GET","url":"\/ocs\/v2.php\/apps\/notifications\/api\/v2\/notifications","user":
"testuser","version":"11.0.1.2"}

x.x.x.x is my current home IP address where I am browsing from (not the server)
I also just added a federated cloud share with another test install of NC 11.1:

• that share was notified in the browser (“New incoming share”)
  • I clicked “Accept”
  • then the spam of errors started hitting the log file
  • no share ever showed up, the “Shared with you” tab does nothing (not even a loading animation, just blank)

Both servers have home folder encryption enabled and working.

OK, one last Update:
I removed the federated shares and the log error entries stopped immediately.

I am not sure if I should close this topic and open a new one on federated shares issues or keep it here since the errors do reference missing encryption modules (which do exist and function correctly on both NC servers).

Ideas?

More updates:

I removed the “Home folder Encryption” option, verified new files get stored unencrypted, tried new federated shares but the problem persists (log file hammered with errors, no shares actually work).
So I am assuming this problem is with the Encryption module (not the federated sharing). The only way I can prove this theory is to do complete re-installs of both servers, refrain from enabling the encryption at all, and try again. :sweat:

Unless someone can confirm that 11.1 can handle federated shares (could save me some time). Tx

I found 2 similar threads on this issue:

UPDATE: Theory is correct! Federated sharing works correctly in fresh 11.1 installs. Gotta be in the encryption module.
Unless this is a known bug that will be fixed shortly, maybe we should request a warning added to the existing warning when enabling local encryption explaining Federated Sharing will be broken.

Today I noticed the same errors as a problem was pointed out by one of my nextcloud users.
I remember federated shares worked without a problem on encrypted files prior nextcloud 11.

Now after some initial tests i see that:

• when adding a share from public link files do not apear and server gives exactly the error you specified.
  • when sharing with someone on the same server but using their federated share id same thing happens
  • when sharing from non-encrypted nc instance over to encrypted one via federation - same thing happens (on encrypted one)
  • sharing directly with users on the same server works ok.

Apparently you can see the directories in the mobile browser (but I haven’t tested it out myself).

edit
Everything works without problem on android mobile client. I can see federated shares and access them with no problem. @tflidd is this known issue? shall I make a bug report on github?

I’m not using the encryption module, so I don’t know about current issues. Check out on github if you can find such an issue. If you two ran into the same issue independently, a bug is not unlikely.

Can confirm issue with two encrypted next cloud instances when sharing via federation.

Shared files are visible via the Android app.