Problem with Update to v.20.0.8

Today my Nextcloud (v.20.0.8) told me that there is a new update to v. 20.0.8 which is very odd because information about this version is missing from the change log and I thought that after v. 20.0.7 the next one is 21.0.0. The problem is that when I start the update the usual way from Settings -> web Updater, it gets stuck at the Downloading step with the following error:

Parsing response failed.
Show detailed response

<html>
<head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head>
<body>
<center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx</center>
</body>
</html>
<!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page -->

So I need to run manually sudo -u www-data php7.4 occ maintenance:repair in order to recover. I have tried this update already three times and all the times it is stuck at exactly this step.

For the record I am running Nextcloud on a RPI4, running Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS with NGINX 1.18.0 and php7.4.

welcome to the user forum(s) of Nextcloud, @gstoyanov and thanks for your very first participation to the project.

Usually there’s not much you can do about it than maybe just wait some days and/or retry updating. Servers seem to be pretty busy now b/c of the new major-version.

Thanks for getting back to me, I have figured out that this might be the case, because when I started downloading the update manually it was very slow, more than 30 minutes. By the way, isn’t it possible to jump directly to v.21.0.0?

Maybe you should also add information about the new v. 20.0.8 in the change log.

Yes. Every release the same problems. Hopefully they increase the download server performance for the next release. The full Nextcloud 21 - version can you better download at GitHub.

Also if you can, please perform the upgrade through CLI and screen/tmux so you don’t hit timeout issues.

1 Like

This has happened for several upgrades now. What I do is repair the update (I only have the command for a Synology NAS, so you’ll have to research this), download the file manually, upload it to /nextcloud/data/updater-xxxx/downloads, overwriting the part-downloaded file, and make sure you have a .step file in /nextcloud/data/updater-xxxx containing this line: {“state”:“end”,“step”:4} . Go back to a fresh update page and you should see the updater is all ready to begin at step 5, bypassing the need for it to download the upgrade zip.

To get to v 21.0.0 I had to make sure I had upgraded to the version Nextcloud was offering me, 20.0.8, then, once completed, I enabled beta and was offered 21.0.0. All sorted now, apart from the usual warnings about /.well-known/cardav and /.well-known/caldav, which I’ve never managed to solve, I now have a couple more, /.well-known/webfinger and /.well-known/nodeinfo. Haven’t a clue what they do - carddav and caldav has always working fine for me, in spite of the warnings, so I hope it will be the same for the other two.

Hi scgf. Perhaps you can pass along the command to repair for all of us Synology users. Would be very helpful. Thanks very much.

I installed NextCloud on my Synology NAS itself, rather than using Docker or similar.

The command is:

sudo -u http /usr/local/bin/php73 -c /var/packages/WebStation/etc/php_profile/xxxxx/conf.d/user_settings.ini -f /volume1/web/nextcloud/occ maintenance:repair

All on one line, of course, and you need to put your profile in place of xxxxx - it will be a long list of numbers and letters. php73 means php v.7.3, so if you use 7.1, for example, you’d have php71.

Missing indices can be added/updated with:

sudo -u http /usr/local/bin/php73 -c /var/packages/WebStation/etc/php_profile/xxxxx/conf.d/user_settings.ini -f /volume1/web/nextcloud/occ db:add-missing-indices

My nextcloud instance is in /volume1/web/nextcloud - clearly if yours is somewhere else you will need to change the path.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

just a quick update from my side. I have also managed to update my Nextcloud server. I will wait till v.21.0.0 hits the stable branch. I am not in a such hurry.