Preconfigure desktop client

Is there a way to customize the desktop client for windows, that the user only has to type in his Username and password?
I tried to edit the conf file, but when i deleted the username, the client only asked about an password, and there were no way to type in an username.
Furthermore i’d like to define the url as standard and the sync folder.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

This is currently not possible. There was some ticket on ownCloud client, but I think this is out of scope for the moment :grin:

Greetings

Marius

I would like to see an automatic installer for a rollout in an enterprise, too. Some parameters, e.g. a silent switch or the setting of a default path for syncing would help a lot. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

@Hansi Silent switch is present – try /S :slight_smile:

Default path and others you can find at C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg. You can edit it before or after silent installation. I tries this with some success :slight_smile:

I also tested some installations with Scalable Discovery with some success. I will try to ask our devs for look if they could prepare new exe with cfg file or more switches. But it may takes some weeks.

Regards.

Thank you for the Information. Cheers, Hans

I found out something very bogus, but it works.

if you paste https://[username]:[password]@[nextcloudurl] into the URL Box, the nextcloud Installer
will paste all the needed information to the correct boxes on the Username and Password entry Step.

all you have to do here is click next.

1 Like

Yes, but the login/password windows still exist at the configuration wizard but it fills with data.

Hi Therion7777.

Could you please share info about preconfig/unattended?
Probably was developed a new execution keys which will allow to set server address and local path during install ?

Unfortunately not.
We decide to push the client configuration to users hands.

We simply drop clients from AD with this .bat:

@echo off

if EXIST “C:\Program Files (x86)\Nextcloud\nextcloud.exe” GOTO :End
if EXIST “C:\Program Files\Nextcloud\nextcloud.exe” GOTO :End

start

copy \domain.com.pl\SysVol\domain.com.pl\scripts\Nextcloud\nextcloud2242.exe %windir%\Temp

%windir%\Temp\nextcloud2242.exe /S

:End

Hi…

thnx for reply.

i know how to deploy software…
the biggest issue for me - client configuration. but now i create “man” for that.
i hope that end users will not crash system :slight_smile:

do you have any plan for end users autoconfig?

1 Like

Nope. Not know. We don’t have free resources to do it… :slight_smile:

I managed to install the client with PDQ deploy (using the /S option, not /s!!!) but had to create manually a nextcloud.cfg file

I used an existing .cfg file, broke it up into three pieces and created a batch file for the user to execute (wih PDQ deploy you can automate this):

if not exist %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nextcloud*.* md %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nextcloud
type “\iag.local\data\software\algemeen software\Nextcloud\nextcloud.1.cfg.txt” > %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo C:/users/%USERNAME%/Appdata/Local/Nextcloud >> %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
type “\iag.local\data\software\algemeen software\Nextcloud\nextcloud.2.cfg.txt” >> %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo %USERNAME% >> %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
type “\iag.local\data\software\algemeen software\Nextcloud\nextcloud.3.cfg.txt” >> %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo %USERNAME% >> %LOCALAPPDATA%\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg

This is currently not possible. There was some ticket on ownCloud client, but I think this is out of scope for the moment

Well it was in the scope of a paid feature: https://nextcloud.com/blog/branded-nextcloud-clients/

2 Likes

You’re aware that you quoted a post from December 2016? :roll_eyes:

It’s still relevant. Why no MSI other than for paid subscribers? Seems like a bait and switch from the free and open source Nextcloud I signed up for.

Me ? The article is dated November 13, 2019
https://nextcloud.com/blog/branded-nextcloud-clients/

The quoted post (with the grey background) is from December 2016.

This path has been changed to the following path:

C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud

Just for eveyone, who is interested in the Automatisation of the installation.
It IS possible, even without a preconfigured and payed Client.

You need to execute these CMD Commands to generate the Config File needed for the automatised installation:

@echo off

echo [General] >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo clientVersion=3.2.1stable-Win64 (build 20210428) >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo updateSegment=86 >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo >> C:\Users%username%.ROLFBENZ\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo [Accounts] >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\FoldersWithPlaceholders\1\localPath=C:/Users/%username%/nextcloud/ >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\FoldersWithPlaceholders\1\journalPath=.sync_c58c51b03497.db >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\version=1 >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\FoldersWithPlaceholders\1\targetPath=/ >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\url=SERVERURL >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\FoldersWithPlaceholders\1\paused=false >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\dav_user=%username% >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\FoldersWithPlaceholders\1\ignoreHiddenFiles=false >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\serverVersion=20.0.9.1 >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\webflow_user=%username% >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\FoldersWithPlaceholders\1\virtualFilesMode=wincfapi >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\authType=webflow >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\FoldersWithPlaceholders\1\version=3 >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\FoldersWithPlaceholders\1\navigationPaneClsid=@Variant(\0\0\0\x1e\xab\xea\xcf\x46*\xd7MU\x8f\xef\xb1\x31\x5\xf1|\xf3) >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo 0\user=@Invalid() >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo [Settings] >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo geometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x3\0\0\0\0\x1\x88\0\0\0\x37\0\0\x6z\0\0\x4\x4\0\0\x1\x89\0\0\0]\0\0\x6y\0\0\x4\x3\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\a\x80\0\0\x1\x89\0\0\0]\0\0\x6y\0\0\x4\x3) >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg
echo >> C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Nextcloud\nextcloud.cfg

!!Replace SERVERURL with your personal Nextcloud-Url, Only works for the Client Version 3.0 and above(because Virtual Files are not available in V2.X) and has to be executed with the user, using the Client(not an admin) And the Username on windows has to be the same as the Username on Nextcloud!!

Has this issue been remedied with newer versions of Nexcloud desktop client?
I can’t get the workaround by creating manually nextcloud.cfg to work.