Portable Windows Client

Are there plans to make an portable client? I found the older thread Portable version of windows desktop client? and wanted to know if there are new developments.

Espacially as it seems its not possible to use the portable-app @CrazyMax made anymore as the nextcloud-desktop-client doesn’t allow for manually entering the path according to this ticket Cannot enter "..\data\storage\example" in the client · Issue #96 · portapps/nextcloud-portable · GitHub

So, does anybody use a portable client and if yes, how did you do it?

I don’t. But Rclone is portable and also available for Windows:

Rclone is single executable (rclone, or rclone.exe on Windows) that you can simply download as a zip archive and extract into a location of your choosing.

https://rclone.org/downloads/

https://rclone.org/webdav/#nextcloud

well the link you provided above refers to a portable-app - which I haven’t tested. But apparently it’s not outdated and you can use it with NC34.x Portapps - Nextcloud™ portable

hence I think this forum is the wrong place to ask if this app is still maintained. By looking into the repo of that app it seems to be maintained. But maybe not as activly as you want it?

But as this as well is open source you could try to get involved there. Even if you can’t code (or don’t want to code)… like you could become a tester or such. Just get in touch with the maintainer.

So, use it as nextcloud client, do i understand this correctly? Thanks, i mght try that! :slight_smile:

I asked this before i linked to somewhere else to ask if maybe nextcloud itself has made it possible to install the app portable.

And the issue i’m referring to is is also saying that its not possible anymore to insert a hand-written path into the nextcloud client, so this would (maybe) be an issue in the github on nextcloud-client. Nothing the maintainer of the portable-apps can do there in my opinion.

Thank you for your answers already :slight_smile:

not that I know of - but: we’re not connected to what Nextcloud, the company, might do in the future.
On the other hand: this is open source and thus anyone can take the idea and make it work

as I don’t run windows I don’t know what you’re referring to, I’m afraid. Plus: I don’t see the need of changing that from NC-Client-side- have you tried that already with YOUR client? apart from that… I think I remember that someone from that link mentioned some way(s) dealing with certain paths.

Anyways: it might be regarded as unneccessary to change any paths from NC-client-side… so this would be - if needed at all - the problem on portable-apps-side.

But then again: I’m only guessing here. Can’t tell anything for sure, I’m afraid

Sorry for not being really helpful here

It depends on what your goal is :slight_smile:

If you want to sync a directory (two-way or one-way), you can do that with Rclone.

The only drawback (which some might see as an advantage): Rclone is a command-line program. If that’s a problem, it wouldn’t be the right solution.

Our plan is to have an installer being able to do single user or whole machine installation modes.
That way, you may decide to install it only for your user account without elevated privileges.
There is simply no way to have a portable desktop files client as you need to register to the system and register some DLL.

If you still rely on classical synchronization on Windows, I get why you may want a portable client. The lack of features of the classical synchronization makes it impossible for me to use with my personal instance for example.