Please add optional Dark Theme for this forum

Thats what i did actually, however, hwre both screenshots:

this is the same view (hamburger menu) once in standard theme and once in dark theme, in the dark screenshot you see only the categories, while in the standard theme there is more. This is the case on android chrome browser as well as in firefox.

1 Like

It is there just the font color is hiding it

Yes, but it still is not visible and its a theme problem i guess as black texts should always be changed if a white background is turned black

2 Likes

Automatic dark theme support is now built into the forum. This is defined on a per-device basis to match the theme on your browser, phone, etc. Details at:

Tested on mobile devices with dark themes and it looks pretty flawless. Also simpler to maintain in place of crafting a custom dark theme. Try it out and let us know what you think.

2 Likes

Font color still not fixed in dark theme in some areeas:

1 Like

correct, but dark mode does work properly if your actual device (or computer) is set to use a dark theme.

So i need to disable dark theme in top and it will automatically use dark mode, if chrome and windows is set to dark mode? Gotta check that but im in doubt

Ok, now i managed to get this done, i go to chrome://flags to enable the darken websites checkbox in settings, go to chrome settings to check the box and then disable the dark theme here in top. Perfect dark theme for the forumā€¦

@rakekniven are you still on this? Discourse is finally defaulting to auto-follow system dark / light mode for new installs: FEATURE: Enable auto dark mode on new instances by pmusaraj Ā· Pull Request #14208 Ā· discourse/discourse Ā· GitHub

It would be awesome if this installation here also enabled this feature. It makes the clumsy toggle obsolete and ā€œjust worksā€ by following the user system.

Also the discourse installation probably should be updated as the issue with font colors in various locations in dark mode is persisting. However when looking at https://meta.discourse.org/ the problem does not show. So maybe they fixed this in an update? And if not that, it should be fixed on instance via settings.

Currently the text color is a real problem in dark mode:
forum readability small

No, for my understanding the topic is done and closed.

Do you have any link about the version for discoure supporting this?
This forum is running v2.8.0

Guess it will be part of 2.9 future release. Currently in main.

Hi, Iā€™m new to this community, and the dark theme is the first thing I looked for, after setting up my profile. Without having read through this whole thread, I take it that there currently is no dark theme on these forums, is that correct? I tried enabling the ā€œDiscourse Theme Switcherā€ in my Preferences, but I still do not see the toggle switch beside the search icon at the top of the forum.

EDIT: I donā€™t know if someone changed something for me behind the scenes, or if the changes I made in my preferences finally came through, but I now have the dark theme working. Thanks so much for this! :+1:

Nothing has been changed.
Please note: Topics with a looong topic name make the theme switcher disappear.

1 Like

I recommend this theme component. What it does is auto-adjust light or dark theme based on your device theme preferences.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/dark-mode-automatic-theme-switcher/112071

1 Like

First topic of the given link says:

Discourse now supports Automatic Dark Mode color scheme switching in core, this component is now deprecated and should no longer be used.

1 Like

That is right. Time flies. Cannot remember if it requires a setting change to enable.

A post was split to a new topic: Fixing dark theme on the forum

I have built an all new Dark Theme based on the existing Nextcloud theme.
It is now built into the default theme options, which means it will automatically be applied based on your browser and system preferences.
Resolves font issues with the forum.
Resolves dark mode support.
You can also switch back to Light or Dark Mode under your account preferences

You are welcome.

How is this new Dark Theme?

• Tested and working fine
  • Bad. Please explain why in a reply
0 voters
1 Like