Php5 or php7 Redis and ldap

I know that officially php5 is recommended and that has been working well but the php5 redis module is outdated so I was looking into upgrading to php7. I was wondering if anyone has had some experience with using php7 with ldap and Redis?

Depends on which php5 you are talking about.
php 5.6 should be very fine and will also be supported in NC 11.

PHP 7 is supported since OC 8.2 and also in all NC versions. Many are using it already, also in combination with redis.

Just to clarify: I generally use Ubuntu LTS for my setups but the LTS versions are either ubuntu 14.04 lts with php5 or ubuntu 16.04 lts with php7. I want to use both ldap and redis but am not sure what the best setup would be in this case.
If I go for ubuntu 14.04 which comes with php5 (not 5.6) the redis module is to old.
if I go with ubuntu 16.04 it comes with php7 Redis would work but I am not sure how stable the ldap module is.
I could install php 5.6 on 14.04 and both redis and ldap would work in theory.

What would you recommend?

The 14.04 caching-packages are crap. If you prefer php 5.6 for the moment, debian jessie could be an interesting alternative. All the caching modules work out of the box (no 3rd-party sources).

Thanks for your reply
I agree that Debian would make sense if it was only for home use. I want to stick with ubuntu because we are looking to taking Nextcloud into large scale production and would use canonical’s commercial support for this. Right now these installs are only for internal use but it makes sense to stay with ubuntu since we are sure that is what we’re going to use in production.

Would you recommend Debian for a production environment?

There is no company behind debian which provides commercial support. And you don’t have debian-certified hardware. Not sure how important that is for you and your environment, I have no experience to give you a qualified answer.

Regarding the stability of the distribution itself, I’d rather prefer debian. You didn’t have this trouble with badly chosen caching-packages (as an example) and there are many large institutions (Who's using Debian?) relying on debian, even the international space station is using it.

1 Like

Thanks, this is a helpful perspective. But yeah with the commercial support and certified hardware we are pretty set on Ubuntu. The international space station has some more resources to handle stuff them selfs.
ps: I do like the argument “if it’s good enough for the international space station…” should really be Debian’s new slogan.