PHP Fatal error: 500 internal server error šŸ˜±

Updated from Nextcloud version : 27.1.5 to the latest today and now i get error 500ā€¦
Operating system: Ubuntu server 22.04.3 LTS
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.57 U
PHP version: 8.214

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time youā€™ve seen this error? Yes.

1.Run the update
2. Disable maintence mode and go to manual database update ā†’ clickā€¦
3. = 500 internal server error.

Error Log file error Plesk:
[Sun Jan 14 01:42:03.390680 2024] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 3709564:tid 140271635371584] [client 83.XXX.XXX.106:0] AH01071: Got error 'PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Class OCA\\GroupFolders\\Helper\\LazyFolder contains 2 abstract methods and must therefore be declared abstract or implement the remaining methods (OCP\\Files\\Folder::searchBySystemTag, OCP\\Files\\FileInfo::getMetadata) in /var/www/vhosts/workspace.somecloud.work/public_html/apps/groupfolders/lib/Helper/LazyFolder.php on line 32'

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'ocbc5ibcmk9z',
  'passwordsalt' => ',
  'secret' => '',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'somecloud.somecloud.work',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/vhosts/somecloud.work/clouddata',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '27.1.5.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://somecloud.cloud.work',
  'dbname' => 'cloudnet8_k3',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => '',
  'dbpassword' => '',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => 'notify',
  'mail_domain' => 'cloud.work',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtphost' => 'mail.server.co.uk',
  'mail_smtpport' => '465',
  'mail_smtpname' => 'notify@cloud.work',
  'mail_smtppassword' => '*',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'logfile' => '/public_html/data/nextcloud.log',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'updater.secret' => '',
  'debug' => true,	
);

The nextcloud file only contains old data from 2023 and is not updated by the system.

Any ideas on how to fix this? :thinking:

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issue. They closed the issue and suggested asking for help here.

I disabled that group folder app via OCC; now, it complains that it cannot find the database driver. However, OCC could repair the database, but the web version cannot access it. I guess that it has something to do with upgrading to PHP 8.3.

Based on the reference to this file, your group folders app isnā€™t up-to-date. Not sure how that happened, but the file hasnā€™t existed since v15.3.3 which was for NC27.

The version of group folders for NC28 is >v16.0.0 which wonā€™t have this problem. Can you see if there is a newer version offered under Apps in your environment?

I canā€™t replicate this problem in any of my environments on NC28.

Based on your config, youā€™re still running v27.1.5 not NC28. Did you restore a backup or something?

1.Run the update
2. Disable maintence mode and go to manual database update ā†’ clickā€¦
3. = 500 internal server error.

What do you mean by, specifically, by ā€œmanual database update ā†’ clickā€?

Its means that you need to on the next stage of the update run the database update.

Anyone here on the forums that could tell how to fix this issue?

Its means that you need to on the next stage of the update run the database update.

Letā€™s try this again: Please specify the exact steps you ran.

Did you did the update and upgrade from the command-line or from the Web UI?

Your provided config indicates you did not trigger an actual upgrade.

And the LazyFolder reference in your error is only possible if the older (non-NC28) groupfolders app is installed.

We need more details on the update/upgrade process you went through.

From the web interface - Not CMD

What?

I the update was run through the admin account logged on to the system (webinterface), as the notifications announced a new update was availableā€¦

This system has been running fine without any bigger issues also for a very long time. this is the first time we experience a serious issue like a 500 error.

I already given you the steps before you go through when running the update through the web interface.

Iā€™m stuck at the last final step where you should run the database update, but cannot access that because internal server 500 error.

Anyone here that knows about this issue?

Same here.

Steps:

1. go to admin settings
  2. click ā€œopen updaterā€ (from 27.1.5 to 28.0.1)
  3. run update
  4. all steps finished successfully
  5. click the button to enter the next step/page
  6. immediately get a 500 response with the posted error message
2 Likes

Iā€™ll try the solution from here: LazyFolder contains 3 abstract [...] declared abstract or implement the remaining methods

ā€œAnyway, for anybody have the same problem : I had to disable GroupFolders in the DB and it started to work again. I then updated all applications (including GroupFolders) then reenabled it in the DBā€

I had to disable the groupfolders app, finish the update and only then it showed me the groupfolders update from v15 to v16. I have updated all apps right before updating Nextcloud itself and groupfolders didnā€™t show any updates.

$ php occ app:disable groupfolders
Nextcloud or one of the apps require upgrade - only a limited number of commands are available
You may use your browser or the occ upgrade command to do the upgrade
groupfolders 15.3.4 disabled

Edit:

The same just repeated with another Nextcloud server:

1. Update all apps
  2. Disable groupfolders app
  3. Update Nextcloud from 27 to 28
  4. Suddenly 5 new updates shown for apps including groupfolders 25 to 26.

So it seems you only get the groupfolders 26 update when you already have updated Nextcloud to 28, but that fails when the groupfolders app is enabled.

1 Like

I did a roll back through our backup system and then attempted to disable group folders and then delete it. I then ran the Nextcloud update again but then hit the wall again with the 500 error. I guess there is remnant data/files in our system now from the first failed update that prevents us to do a successful update. :sob:

I also updated from 27.1.7 to 28.0.3. All apps were updated prior to the update and all the apps were compatible. I didnā€™t have any untested apps running.

I used the web updater. All steps were succesfull. After clicking the final button i directly get a http 500 error.

We did several actions to fix the problem, which i donā€™t remember exactly, but one of the issues seem to be that some apps still had to be updated. One of the apps was groupfiles.

To me it looks like the update needs to be improved on testing wether the system and apps are ready to be upgraded.

I just successfully updated @Gaston.
The old update version must have been flawed/bugged.

Just remember to disable and uninstall the group folder and and you should be good to go.