Photo app : issue adding picture from shared folder (owned by other) to an Album (shared)

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.6

The issue you are facing: Users not owning a shared folder with pictures can not add shared pictures to a folder (shared or not)

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes but not tested before

Steps to replicate it:

1. User-A create a shared folder and share it to Everyone
  2. User-B adds pictures to the shared folder
  3. User-B, in Photo app, creates a shared Photo Album which appears
  4. User-B, in Photo app, can not add pictures from the shared folder (owned by user-A) into the shared Album => a banner message appears : “Failed to add *.jpg to album *.”
  5. User-A, in Photo app, can add pictures in the shared Photo album from his shared folder

Is that a normal behavior, can it be different ?
Do you have a workaround ?

I’m in a context of an instance for an association where everything is supposed to be shared, so we all work within folders created by admin account and shared to everyone. It limits number of folders and ease the sharing of documents.

I have an admin account of my instance, but I’m not admin of the server, i don’t have any other logs.

Many thanks !

1 Like

Hi, I have similar problems: when I want to add an image from a shard folder (where im not the creator) to a shared album (here it makes no difference if i created it or not) I also get an Error. (Faild to add xxx.jpg to shared album xxx (user x)

Is there any update on this problem? Have you find a workaround yet?

I just found the same problem in my little family instance.
Users can only add their own files to albums. :frowning:

We tried this with the photos app and memories and in any possible way.
I ended up copying photos to a separate shared folder and don’t create an album - which causes duplicates.

There is also a very old Issue in github - But, I guess, there are not enough users who use collaborative albums.
https://github.com/nextcloud/photos/issues/2095

1 Like