"Permission Denied" when uploading from Android Client, but fine using Windows Client

Nextcloud version: 18.0.5 and 19.0.0
Operating system and version: Linux 3.10.0-1062.18.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64
Apache or nginx version : ??
PHP version: 7.3.18

The issue you are facing:

My web hoster recently moved me to a dedicated VM from a shared one so Iā€™m guessing there is a config error but Iā€™m not sure as:

• OK : Creating, deleting, downloading files is fine from my Win10 PC using the Win10 Nextcloud App
  • OK: Creating Folders, deleting & downloading files is fine from my phone using the Nexcloud App
  • Fail: Uploading Files using the Nextcloud App. The file upload itself works fine, but a few seconds after 100% uploaded I get ā€œYou are not permitted to upload to this folderā€ and the upload items shows as failed and ā€œPermission Deniedā€.

Iā€™m not sure why it would be fine from my PC but not from my phone. Iā€™ve had a look at some logs and do find some entries like:

Thu Jun 04 23:02:28.952824 2020] [core:crit] [pid 597] (13)Permission denied: [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:12345] AH00529: /home/me/public_html/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable and that '/home/me/public_html/' is executable

Thanks
Nathan

Apologies for the bump, but Iā€™m not sure how to resolve this.
Thanks
Nathan

have you tried to solve this error already?
have you tried reinstalling android-app?

Thanks for the reply Jimmy,

• I have installed/uninstalled/reinstalled the Android App many times.
  • I have tried changing the the .htaccess file in both public_html and under public_html/nextcloud from 644 to 755

No issues from the Windows Client, just the Android App.

Apologies for the bump. Iā€™ve done some more testing:

• iPhone App: No Issues
  • Win10 Desktop App: No Issues
  • Android App: Iā€™ve now tested on 2 x phones and both fails the same way.

I donā€™t understand why the Android App failsā€¦

Hi @jmone,

It might be best to raise an issue on the guthub tracker https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/new/choose

@jmone as @Andy is Android app dev I think that his request for filing a GH-Issue would mark a solution regarding the forum. Meaning thereā€™s nothing that could be done here.

Please donā€™t forget to re-link your issue as an answer to this threadā€¦ :wink:

@JimmyKater @Andy - Iā€™ve created the ticket here - https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/6570

Thanks
Nathan

1 Like

Commenting to add what helped me since there was little online about this.

1. Files I added to Nextcloud/data somehow had the wrong owner, not www-data but my main Linux user name. chown the whole folder to be sure and could upload from the Android client

2. I had some TWRP files (Android backup utility) I couldnā€™t delete from the Android client but that seemed to be specific to those files, no idea why because I could delete other files. Removed the from terminal in Linux and good to go.

Thanks - I donā€™t even have a www-data user or group on this system. The service provider had migrated my Nextcloud instances from a shared to dedicated VM, so Iā€™m guessing the ownership changed at that point.

Before I go back to tech support, can I confirm what folders need to have the ownership modified on them, as everything currently works except for Android Uploads, and is the ownership to be ā€œwww-dataā€ or is it dependant on the OS or the ownership of the webservice?

Thanks
Nathan

Depends on your set up, pretty sure. I followed this guide - https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-nextcloud-server/

I had to create the user and make it the owner of the data folder but the data folder can be whatever you want.

I can confirm, using Nextcloud on Unraid and the ownership of my files was not set correctly.
After running chown -R nobody:users and restarting Nextcloud, the issue is now resolved.

nobody:users being the user and group of all the other Nextcloud files.

FYI: I was using the Android client and having these issues