Permission denied for table oc_migrations on startup

Hi together,

I recently had to restart my system which acts as docker host for my Nextcloud setup. When, the containers were recreated, the following error occured. Possibly slightly newer images (patch versions) were pulled.

nextcloud_1  | Initializing nextcloud 28.0.2.5 ...
nextcloud_1  | New nextcloud instance
nextcloud_1  | Installing with PostgreSQL database
nextcloud_1  | => Searching for scripts (*.sh) to run, located in the folder: /docker-entrypoint-hooks.d/pre-installation
nextcloud_1  | Starting nextcloud installation
nextcloud_1  | Error while trying to initialise the database: An exception occurred while executing a query: SQLSTATE[42501]: Insufficient privilege: 7 ERROR:  permission denied for table oc_migrations
nextcloud_1  | Trace: #0 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/QueryBuilder/QueryBuilder.php(295): OC\DB\Exceptions\DbalException::wrap(Object(Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\DriverException))
nextcloud_1  | #1 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/MigrationService.php(188): OC\DB\QueryBuilder\QueryBuilder->executeQuery()
nextcloud_1  | #2 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/MigrationService.php(255): OC\DB\MigrationService->getMigratedVersions()
nextcloud_1  | #3 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/MigrationService.php(417): OC\DB\MigrationService->getMigrationsToExecute('latest')
nextcloud_1  | #4 /var/www/html/lib/private/DB/MigrationService.php(394): OC\DB\MigrationService->migrateSchemaOnly('latest')
nextcloud_1  | #5 /var/www/html/lib/private/Setup/AbstractDatabase.php(159): OC\DB\MigrationService->migrate('latest', true)
nextcloud_1  | #6 /var/www/html/lib/private/Setup.php(376): OC\Setup\AbstractDatabase->runMigrations(NULL)
nextcloud_1  | #7 /var/www/html/core/Command/Maintenance/Install.php(113): OC\Setup->install(Array, NULL)
nextcloud_1  | #8 /var/www/html/3rdparty/symfony/console/Command/Command.php(298): OC\Core\Command\Maintenance\Install->execute(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
nextcloud_1  | #9 /var/www/html/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php(1040): Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
nextcloud_1  | #10 /var/www/html/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php(301): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunCommand(Object(OC\Core\Command\Maintenance\Install), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
nextcloud_1  | #11 /var/www/html/3rdparty/symfony/console/Application.php(171): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
nextcloud_1  | #12 /var/www/html/lib/private/Console/Application.php(206): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run(Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Input\ArgvInput), Object(Symfony\Component\Console\Output\ConsoleOutput))
nextcloud_1  | #13 /var/www/html/console.php(100): OC\Console\Application->run()
nextcloud_1  | #14 /var/www/html/occ(11): require_once('/var/www/html/c...')
nextcloud_1  | #15 {main}

The database container show the following log at this time:

postgres_1   | 2024-03-17 20:00:25.088 UTC [82] ERROR:  permission denied for table oc_migrations
postgres_1   | 2024-03-17 20:00:25.088 UTC [82] STATEMENT:  SELECT "version" FROM "oc_migrations" WHERE "app" = $1 ORDER BY "version" ASC

Using the configured database user I am successfully able to execute the select and I retrieve results. Also, before restarting the host it worked properly as well.

For reference my compose file:

volumes:
  postgres:
  nextcloud:

services:
  postgres:
    image: postgres
    restart: always
    environment:
      POSTGRES_USER: ${POSTGRES_USER}
      POSTGRES_PASSWORD: ${POSTGRES_PASSWORD}
      POSTGRES_DB: ${POSTGRES_DB}
    volumes:
      - postgres:/var/lib/postgresql/data
    ports:
      - 5432:5432

nextcloud:
    build: ./build
    restart: always
    depends_on:
      - postgres
    links:
      - postgres
    environment:
      POSTGRES_HOST: postgres
      POSTGRES_USER: ${POSTGRES_USER}
      POSTGRES_PASSWORD: ${POSTGRES_PASSWORD}
      POSTGRES_DB: ${POSTGRES_DB}

NEXTCLOUD_ADMIN_USER: ${NEXTCLOUD_ADMIN}
      NEXTCLOUD_ADMIN_PASSWORD: ${NEXTCLOUD_ADMIN_PASSWORD}

NEXTCLOUD_ENABLED_APPS: groupfolders,keeweb,passwords
      NEXTCLOUD_DISABLED_APPS: circles,comments,logreader,user_status,weather_status,dashboard,contactsinteraction,federation,nextcloud_announcements,recommendations,related_resources,serverinfo,sharebymail,support,survey_client,systemtags,updatenotification,firstrunwizard

NEXTCLOUD_USERS_GROUP: users
      NEXTCLOUD_USERS: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      NEXTCLOUD_USERS_PASSWORD: ${NEXTCLOUD_USERS_PASSWORD}
      NEXTCLOUD_USERS_MEDIA_DIRECTORY: /media
      NEXTCLOUD_SHARED_DIRECTORIES: software=users,media=users
    volumes:
      - nextcloud:/var/www/html/data
      - ./hooks/post-installation:/docker-entrypoint-hooks.d/post-installation
      - ./scripts:/scripts
    ports:
      - 80:80
      - 443:443

Don’t be confused with some custom variables, they are evaluated during the post installation step by a couple self-written scripts, but this should not interfer as my nextcloud container does not even pass the installation step.

I would greatly appreciate any help or pointers how I could analyze this problem further as I am currently not able to boot back in. Alternatively, I could only reupload on a fresh instance, but this would take some time, plus I am curious on the issue for problems in the future.

Kind regards
Adagatiya

Hi again,

gladly I was able to get my instance up and running with the following steps:

1. Set NC_setup_create_db_user to “false” via an environment variable.
  2. Use another admin user, otherwise it would conflict with the existing one.
  3. Run from within the container: ./occ files:scan --all to scan existing data.
  4. Run from within the container: ./occ groupfolders:scanl --all to scan existing data.

Background:
It seems that Nextcloud did not properly recognize the existing installation. The first problem was that every time it created a new database user oc_adminxxx which then lacked the privileges, because the tables were already initialized via oc_admin earlier. Then, secondly, it was not able to create the admin user as directories and files for the given username already existed.

Kind regards
Adagatiya