Package Dependancy Mutually Exclusive with Wine

Hi all,
I have a problem with installing Nextcloud and Wine at the same time.
It seems that the package libgd3:i386 (required for Wine), is not compatible with libgd3 (required for Nextcloud).
If I install one, I can use that program but not the other, and vice versa if I swap the packages around.

When I have Wine working, Nextcloud gives me the error “PHP module GD not installed.” on the front page. I go to install libgd3, but it removes libgd3:i386 and a bunch of other packages related to Wine (wine-stable:i386, wine-stable-i386:i386, winehq-stable).

Then if I have Nextcloud working and install Wine, it removes package libgd3 and I cannot use Nextcloud.

I’ve tried installing an old version of libgd3 to deconflict. “sudo apt install libgd3=2.3.0-2ubuntu2”, but that didn’t get Nextcloud working.
Also on another note which I believe is related, I am unable to install 64-bit Window programs via Wine, think this is something to do with libgd3.

Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?
Ubuntu 22.04LTS
Nextcloud 29.0.1
Wine 9.0

Hi @lancervi50

The conflict between libgd3 and libgd3:i386 is a known issue due to the differing dependencies of 32-bit and 64-bit packages. This kind of conflict can arise when trying to use software that requires different versions of the same library but with different architectures.

Guessing:

• Is multiarch support properly set up?
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
  • Did you try docker (either nextcloud or wine) for isolation?

By isolating the dependencies either through Docker or ensuring that the multiarch setup is correctly configured, you should hopefully be able to avoid the conflict and have both Wine and Nextcloud running on your system.

Much and good luck,
ernolf

1 Like

Yep, I tried multiarch a few times without success.

Haven’t tried Docker yet, I kept hearing about it and didn’t realise it allowed isolation. Will give it a go tomorrow and post here how it goes.

Cheers!

Sounds like you are trying to install Nextcloud on your desktop PC or Wine on your server. Neither is a good idea, imho :wink:

If you absolutely must run Nextcloud on your desktop PC, and you intend to use it productively, and maybe even think of exposing it to the internet, please don’t use Docker, but put it in a VM instead, so that it is properly isolated from the rest of your system.

If you are trying to install Wine on a server for whatever reason, you should probably isolate it as well and run both applications in separate VMs on a proper hypervisor, because again, Nextcloud and Wine should not be installed on the same system if you plan to use Nextcloud productively in any way, and especially if you plan to expose it to the Internet.

while I agree with proper isolation and not mixing desktop and server application I recommend using container (e.g. Docker) due to superior maintenance options - upgrades, backups and hardware replacement.

Nothing against Docker :slight_smile: I use it myself for various things, but in several VMs. For example, I would never run an internet-facing application or service in the same VM as one that is intended for local use only, regardless of whether Docker is used to deploy the service or not.

Running 32-bit Wine bottle on a 64-bit system.

Right, well from the expert comments, I’ve done “some” research and gone far down the rabbit hole.
I always had a future plan to rebuild my server, but didn’t know how. Now I’ve gone down the hole I suppose now is best time than any to start making changes. But I still have a lot to learn.

Moving forward for security purposes, as I will have Nextcloud facing the internet, and Wine running applications I need 24/7, it’s best to isolate them. This also solves my initial problem of running both concurrently on one system.

From the research I’ve done so far, it seems my best solution would be to install ProxMox onto my server. This will allow a Windows image for the exe application needed to run 24/7, and a separate Linux image for internet facing NextCloud, running concurrently on the same machine.

Talk about an over the top solution to a relatively simple problem. But at least this allows me to future proof the system to allow for future expansions when I feel ready for it (like adding file storage accessible while I travel, maybe also have a powerful remote computer (by clustering) for editing videos while travelling).

Thank you all for your expert advice! I am on my way to building my dream system :slight_smile:

1 Like