OwnPhotos now offers experimental CarDav facial recognition

Who would want that? The Nextcloud devs try to remove unneeded stuff from core anyway (like for example Dropbox and Google Drive support) and move them to apps so I donā€™t think this will become part of the core.

Oh for the love of french fries!!

So what happens to all the pictures I manually went through and tagged people in? You know, the pictures I took and I own? Iā€™m guessing I need to ask you whether I can put them in a folder or even move them either?

I agree there is an issue with automatic facial recognition and even facial suggestion tagging where sites like Facebook are basically just begging you to do the pattern recognition for them so that they can build their databases up. But in instances like this, what you do on your own server with your own data is no one elseā€™s business. If it goes into the core, sure, I wouldnā€™t like it. And would probably speak out against it, but only because of the possibility of there being some sort of breach or data leak.

But since this is an app we are talking about, which as has been pointed out time and time again, it is up to the administrator of the server to make the decision of if they want to use this feature or not. Just like it is their decision as to how secure the server is and what other ā€˜potentially privacy breach/leakyā€™ apps are installed. End of issue.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 25 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.