OwnCube shutdown: next steps

Aha. So the issue with SPAM was not only due to taking it home and self-host, but also because you changed email address. The latter is an effecient way of achieving that, for a while. But that could also have been achieved by just getting a new gmail, outlook, yahoo or similar. As long as the email address is new, you are on zero again. For a while.

You will always have issues with SPAM with free providers because they don’t setup the SMTP Servers properly. They are configured to allow non Mail Servers properly. If I didn’t use SPAM Filters and ACLs I would have SPAM. Logs on the Servers shows spammers but they are getting rejected.

Nope creating new account will have the same problem. Gmail and Microsoft sucks just like other free mail solutions. They are free for a reason. These companies sells your information on to data brokers and get your information that way already proved that since moving to my own solution and building my own Mail services from scratch I no longer get problems same with cold callers.

And why would I want to use a free service and be controlled by them? The less information Google and Microsoft gets the better. These companies are evil. I want to be in control of my information and footprint.

I had the same domain for nearly 7 years now, I’m glad I took the approach of self hosting won’t ever go back best way to go.

I think the design of e-mail alone cannot rule out spam.

Monty Python - Spam (Youtube)

I have 0 SPAM in 4 of my domains I’m hosting. It’s called SPAM filters.

what SPAM filters are you using? are they just something your email server has rolled in? Which email server are you using?

I was also an OwnCube lifetime customer, but I never took the lifetime as forever. Selling lifetime packages is indeed not a good long-term business model. A discount when paying for a specific number of years upfront would have been better. Fortunately I had a local backup of the files, but other pieces from Nextcloud like Deck or Tasks are a bit harder to backup and import again.

My major complaint would be that they informed customers by e-mail on February 5th about the planned shutdown on February the 17th, but my Nextcloud instance has been down since February 6th (with exception of 20 hours uptime).