OS upgrade ubuntu server

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): Nextcloud Hub II (23.0.4)
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-65-generic x86_64)

The issue you are facing:

Hello,

I have a nextcloud installation that I am looking to keep up to date.
I updated the application part a few weeks ago and I am now in the “Nextcloud Hub II (23.0.4)” version, no problem to report.
That said, I have a question about updating the OS (Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS currently).
First, is there a way to know if my installation was done via the VM image (provided by nextcloud) or if the technician at the time installed an ubuntu OS then installed nexcloud on it?
Then, are there any known problems updating the OS (latest version LTS 22.04 via ubuntu commands) or is it recommended not to upgrade in relation to compatibility with nextcloud (and this for the case where we would have started from a fresh installation of ubunbtu or the VM offered by nexcloud)?

Thanks

Cordially

Hello,

Are you using NextCloud in a VM or is it a physical installation on dedicated hardware?

Secondly, what type of installation is it? Native (via LAMP or something else?) - Docker - Snap?

Ubuntu 20 LTS is still supported with regular security update so unless you are facing any issue or need a feature which is only available with 22 LTS, then upgrading isn’t necessary !!

Server is supposed to run stable / reliable and long term, every Ubuntu LTS versions are released with that in mind, so they will continue to receive security related update for long term.

Lastly, don’t forget to properly backup the present system and data if you go ahead with OS upgrade, don’t take any chance with your DATA

Thanks.

I think the update to Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is useful.
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is shipped with PHP 7.4 link
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS is shipped with PHP 8.1 link

Read Nextcloud requirements. I think in the next Nextcloud versions PHP 7.4 is not possible. Yes you also can use third party sources for getting PHP 8.1 in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Hello,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read my question and answer me.

My nextcloud installation runs on a VM (an ESXi 7 hypervisor), so with a snapshot mechanism if your idea was to have security for rollback in the event of a problem during an update :wink:

As for the second question, I’m not sure of anything, but I have clues.
There is no docker software on the machine so I rule out this possibility.
Then concerning snap here is what I have with the “snap list” command:
Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
core18 20220428 2409 latest/stable canonical✓ base
core20 20220527 1518 latest/stable canonical✓ base
lxd 4.0.9-8e2046b 22753 4.0/stable/… canonical✓ -
snapd 2.56 16010 latest/stable canonical✓ snapd
So I guess I don’t have nextcloud via snap.
Then if I run a “locate nextcloud”, I can’t find any archives, this makes me think that I may be dealing with an “ALL-IN-ONE VM IMAGE” installation, what do you think?
Do we agree that nextcloud cannot be installed via apt, there is no change if it is listed via the “dpkg -l” command?

Regarding the OS update, I agree not to upgrade from 20.04 to 22.04 if it is still under support.
On the other hand in version 20.04 there are several sub-versions, 20.04.1; 20.04.2, 20.04.3,… is there any contraindication to follow these updates whether I am in native installation or via the all in one VM?

Thanks

Cordially

Hello,

Thank you for the information I note it if I ever have a problem with the version of php.

Cordially

For Nextcloud you not need e.g. snap. You can install webserver, php, database and extract the webserver files from Nextcloud.

Here a documentation. Maybe you have used it.

Nextcloud on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with apache2):

(name of url is wrong, in url nginx but it is apache2, klick on link Ubuntu 20.04 LTS for nginx version)

Hello,

Thank you for this return.

Best regards

And if you would like to containerize it and make it easier to manage, the above guides for installing on Ubuntu, also works if deploying it in a LXC.