Option to turn off update notifications

Please, i don’t need a notification in my taskbar, complete with sound when one of my nc apps have an update available. Nothing more annoying than being in line at the grocery store and i and everyone near me hear an audio notification go off in my pocket, i look at it in case it’s an important text or email… and it’s a notification telling me that there’s an update to my fulltextsearch extension.

3 Likes

You can install a cron job every hour:

occ app:update --all

which is installing the app updates automatically and don’t bother you again with the notifications.

@Sanook thanks. Can you tell me how to setup that cron job from within the Nextcloud container?

somtehing like this is updating the Nextcloud apps every hour automatically:

crontab -u www-data -e

8 */1 * * * php /var/www/nextcloud/occ app:update --all

@Sanook sorry to keep bugging you, I appreciate your help. This is what I get:

crontab -u abc -e 8 */1 * * * php7 /config/www/nextcloud/occ app:update --all
crontab: unrecognized option: all

Where did I screw it up?

I have put the occ command into a script and cron is calling the script

Hi,
this workaround might be helpful for some, I wouldn’t want updates to be installed automatically whenever they land.

So please: Offer an option to deactivate notifications on app updates.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Agreeing with Halle_Luja. Since we just ran into Updating to 3.2.0 fails on SQLite installations · Issue #1549 · nextcloud/forms · GitHub a corrupted database after updating a Nextcloud app, automatic updates are not a solution to the initial question.

Please add a setting to Notification options allowing customized notifications for app updates.

Thank You.

1 Like

What are the current options for this? And I’m not talking about auto-update workarounds (!)

I could only find the update notification settings in the /settings/admin/overview area but I believe those only affect core/server updates itself, not the annoying app updates.

In the settings page (/index.php/settings/admin/overview) You can choose what groups get notified, I think this also affects app updates.

I tested this as I suspected this is the right place right from the beginning, and I can confirm: yes, this also affects app updates. No more app update notifications once I removed the respective user group from that setting.

One should set @Raudius 's post Option to turn off update notifications - #10 by Raudius as solution to this topic.