OpenProject and Nextcloud announce collaboration and integration features

Originally published at: OpenProject and Nextcloud announce collaboration and integration features - Nextcloud

We’re happy to announce today that we worked with the OpenProject community to develop integration in Nextcloud. OpenProject is a very popular open source online project management system and we hope the integration will improve the productivity of users who use both Nextcloud and OpenProject. Watch the YouTube video below that shows the integration in action!

We develop open source project management software to change the way how people collaborate location-independently on projects that have a positive impact on our daily lives. What makes OpenProject stand out is our commitment to data protection and information security. The partnership with Nextcloud is another step on our path to providing data sovereignty to our customers by combining the best of powerful open source applications. It fills me with great joy to join forces with such a strong partner in the open source community that shares the same motivation.

— Niels Lindenthal, Founder and CEO at OpenProject GmbH

Integration of OpenProject data in the Nextcloud Dashboard offers users a view of ongoing projects, as well as showing them notifications and enabling the built-in universal search to find project information from OpenProject. See it in action in the screenshots below

Dashboard integration
Search integration
Dashboard widget

The OpenProject/Nextcloud integration app can be found in the Nextcloud app store. The results of further integration efforts are expected later in 2021.

3 Likes

See the OpenProject integration on apps.nextcloud.com, the corresponding GitHub repository, the issue tracker and the website of the OpenProject project. @jospoortvliet I really would appreciate a few more links, that’s how the web works :wink:

It will be interesting to explore the full potential of this integration in the future, especially in combination with the Deck and Tasks apps. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

but isn’t that what we have you for? :wink:

2 Likes

How to connect open project to NC?

It looks promising but I wonder about conflicts as the app as Deck are open source on NC and commercial on OP.

I don’t think it can conflict. Where Deck is a full app running on a Nextcloud instance, it appears that OpenProject is merely a status message connector for the NC Dashboard app.

See if your instance has the connector by opening your https://sd.fqdn.tld/index.php/settings/user/connected-accounts page.

For example, mine shows my Moodle and Twitter updates after I made the connection to those accounts active. I never added the OpenProject connector to my https://sd.fqdn.tld/index.php/settings/apps page because I’ve never used OpenProject yet.

Anyone in here that integrated NC to OP? And could share any experience? I’m thinking about integrating NC to OP, since we are using both, but I can’t find any user experience or feedback on this. Is it working as it should? Pro’s and con’s?

Hi everyone!

This thread is pretty outdated. The Nextcloud app “OpenProject Integration” has received multiple significant updates in the meantime. Most importantly it is now able to link files and folder from Nextcloud with work packages in OpenProject. So your team can always know where to find and store files for a task.

Regards,
Wieland (OpenProject team)

3 Likes

Thank you for your work, is the group folder in nextcloud expected to be linked to the main project directory, in addition to work packages?

Hey @Dmitrij_Lebedev, I am sorry, but I have difficulties to understand your question. In the current stable release of the “OpenProject Integration” app there is no group folder introduced, yet. With OpenProject 13.0 we will allow projects in OpenProject to have and manage a dedicated folder in Nextcloud. We will use the “Group folders” app for it. This will allow that every project member can automatically have access to the project folder.

2 Likes