Opening Nextcloud iOS app puts significant load on the Nextcloud server

First of all: I´m not quite sure if this is the right category, because I don´t know if it´s a client (iOS app) or server thing.

Whenever I open the iOS app (current version v2.22.8.20) the php7.0-fpm on the nextcloud server (Raspberry Pi 3 B+, Nextcloud v15.0.2 - but this also happened back on v14) spawns immediately to the configured maximum (4 processes) consuming 100 % of CPU for about 2 minutes.

I have nothing in the nextcloud server log, nothing reproducible in the ios app activities (set to detailled already) and no idea on how to debug this.

Few more information:

  • E2E is (was) activated, not in use anymore (and the problem already occured before that E2E test, so I sort that out)
  • offline favorites (yellow star) and offline files (green arrow) activated in the app
  • media tab in use, but no matter if there are new pictures or not - behaviour still the same

What´s going on on my server, what´s the app doing on every startup? What to check next?

Finger´s crossed someone can help… :crossed_fingers:

Did you figure this out? I am experiencing the same issue. It looks like when the app starts, it sends a query for all images and videos in a certain time period to populate the ‘Media’ section. I have stronger hardware but over 500k pictures and videos and these queries takes 9 hours and pegs my CPU and HD the whole time.

Nextcloud app is unusable because it will eventually destroy my hardware with these useless queries.

The first query for populate the Media is limited for the last 30 gg … and I think that is not useless.

Cheers

Sorry, I didn’t mean to say the feature is useless. What I mean is the iOS app triggers a query that causes MariaDB to run at 100% CPU for over 9 hours, and I’m pretty sure the results of that query never make it back to the app. So my server is consuming nontrivial amounts of energy every time I open these apps for no benefit.

For me, this has been happening for months. I’ve tried on-and-off to fix it, assuming it was either an issue with database optimization or some maintenance process on the NextCloud server. Only today I finally realized these requests have been coming from the NextCloud iOS app.

I noticed I can select the media folder in the media section, so I’ve selected a specific folder that has a few pictures. After doing this, I am not seeing these massive queries, so this may have fixed the issue. I assume the default behavior must be to scan all directories I have access to.

I noticed I can select the media folder in the media section, so I’ve selected a specific folder that has a few pictures. After doing this, I am not seeing these massive queries, so this may have fixed the issue. I assume the default behavior must be to scan all directories I have access to.

Well that´s not a fix, that´s a workaround. And it makes the use of the media tab pretty useless. I think the “bug” is the way the app/server combination is performing these checks which are not optimized for performance. So as long as there´s no one putting hands on that implementation, I´m quite sure nothing will change unfortunately.