Nextcloud version: 20.0.7
Operating system and version: Ubuntu. 20.04
Apache or nginx version: Nginx 1.19.6 & Apache 2.4.46
PHP version: 7.4.15

The issue you are facing:
NextCloud timeouts with open_basedir errors listed below

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? N

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PHP Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/proc/2900787) is not within the allowed path(s)

Unfortunately the provided error message seems to be incomplete because it doesn’t provide the application context from which is has been called. Due to the fact that the /proc directory is mentioned, it might be possible that the system information app tries to collect data but is prohibited to do so.
As usual aunt G. knows how you need to configure your server/php environment to prevent such an error message:

Thanks J-Ed.

Yes I saw those, and sorry the implicit question was:
I could add the proc directory, but should I? Is it safe?

If it was a dir related to nextcloud deployment then I would have adopted the mentioned fix.

What do you think?

As usual it is your decision if you want to need that system information function within Nextcloud or not. Security question cannot be answered in general. It always depends on your environment, use case and requirements.

Ok I see… the strange thing is that nextcloud is not working without… it just timeouts on the first page load.

I don’t see /proc dir mentioned here:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/15/admin_manual/installation/harden_server.html?highlight=open_basedir

Or in the prerequisites.

Thanks I’ll figure it out…

You’re referencing to a Nextcloud 15 guide. It might be possible that things have been changed in the meantime. Additionally the installed and activated apps might play a role in that game too :wink: Are you sure that the message is caused by the Nextcloud base installation?

Yeah maybe is one of the apps. I’ll try again from scratch.
Thanks!